topbanner.gif
November 22 2014 05:40:09
HRO Summer Raffle
Donate
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.

Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"

eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Navigation
bullet2.gif HOMEROASTERS.ORG
bullet2.gif Active Forums
bullet2.gif ALL FORUMS
bullet2.gif Downloads
bullet2.gif News
bullet2.gif Forum FAQ
bullet2.gif Contact Me
bullet2.gif Photo Gallery
bullet2.gif Search
bullet2.gif User's Voice
Forum Threads
Newest Threads
bullet2.gif My new Kaldi (Korean...
bullet2.gif Heat Shield Question
bullet2.gif Omega Real-time data...
bullet2.gif SIGN UP FOR BULK BUY...
bullet2.gif GC PID
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif What's in Your Ro... [485]
bullet2.gif SIGN UP FOR BULK ... [141]
bullet2.gif Favorite Green Co... [84]
bullet2.gif Quest M3 [83]
bullet2.gif Bread machine build! [83]
Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 3

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 3,509
bullet2.gif Newest Member: Breifne
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 11/22/2014 05:34
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 3989
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » ALL ABOUT ROASTERS » HotTop Roaster
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roast profile for espresso
Gregr
Comments, suggestions? Always looking to improve the finished product :)
For the probe-less the HottopB display numbers were like this: beans (233g Ethioipia Al Adha) dropped in at 226F. Full power til 287F/3:35 then 70% power til 4:15 then back to full power. Some fan at 5:45/325F then just full power/no fan until 10:10/392F where power dropped to 70%. First crack started at 11:00, power dropped to 50% at 11:15 when it was going pretty fast and loud, then power dropped to 30% when it was over at 12:25. A little more fan here, then power back to 100% at 13:15/413F. Second crack started at 15:20/422F and I stopped the roast a few seconds later.
This has been my approach lately with single origin espresso beans from Central America, Ethiopia, Kenya and Burundi, with minor variations depending on how the roast is going. Overall I'm real happy with the results but always glad for helpful advice.
Gregr attached the following image:
9-30-12-1.png

ginny
Gregr:

nice bean...

I am wondering if you take the same bean, start the Hot Top on auto (read 18 minutes) dump that beans in at 350, you should get first crack at maybe 389/396.

and let it roll until maybe 410/418.

I would be interested to know what the difference may be.

as a long time HT user I have tried all manner of "finesse" the bean.

thanks for you post,

-g

party
What you're reading is my slow descent into insanity...

Gregr
Those times and temps- good for espresso you think?

ciel-007
Greg, I suggest that you try Ginny’s pointers for an improved espresso.

I have experimented with over 50 different profiles in recent months. When I look back at my notes, I see that some of my best espressos resulted from a profile very similar to the one that Ginny suggested. Not dropping the green beans into the roaster before the chamber has reached 350F is one of the most critical first steps in achieving a flavorful cup. Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................... EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLKÖNIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Gregr
Appreciate the advice- and I will try to duplicate those numbers and taste the difference. The temps are so very different from what I normally do though- I'm expecting C+, which would be much lighter than my normal espresso roast (FC+/440F).

ciel-007
Gregr wrote:

... I will try to duplicate those numbers and taste the difference...

Gregr, don’t be afraid to experiment in order to achieve something that is pleasing to your palate.

For example, about one minute after 1C has begun, consider cooling down the roasting chamber quickly in order to delay the arrival of 2C by a few minutes ( you can do this by setting cooling fan to maximum, and even removing the back filter, and/or bean chute cover, to increase air flow through the chamber). Further, you will need to determine if beans dumped at the very first signs of 2C taste better (or not) than beans dumped well after 2C has begun.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................... EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLKÖNIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Gregr
I've fine-tuned the latter part of the roast to the point where I can consistently draw it out to 4:30 from begging of first crack to start of second crack- that has been rewarding me with very good results-- but the path to those results has been pretty consistent. Now it's time to play with some variables like the higher drop in temp and lower end temp. What I love about the roaster is it's just so consistent. I might also install a TC4 to control things from a laptop- apparently lots of people are doing that and reporting great things.

ciel-007
Gregr wrote:

... I might also install a TC4 to control things from a laptop...

With the advent of the TC4 mod, it's hard to imagine another home roaster capable of going toe-to-toe with the HT.

Gregr
nice bean...

I am wondering if you take the same bean, start the Hot Top on auto (read 18 minutes) dump that beans in at 350, you should get first crack at maybe 389/396.

I would be interested to know what the difference may be.

as a long time HT user I have tried all manner of "finesse" the bean.

thanks for you post,

I roasted a batch of beans from Nicaragua targeting the numbers you suggested- did that on the 31st and have been making espressos with it the last two days. My impression is there's less sweetness and more brightness- makes for a different taste profile, very nice, but overall I think I prefer a sweeter espresso. Will continue to experiment though and welcome new approaches :)

snwcmpr

Ginny,
Do you make any other changes to the fan or heat? As in, do you let the AUTO program run as is?
Also, is that oven temp? Do you use a probe?

Thanks,
Ken in NC
Backwoods Roaster

Gregr
Just about at the end of that Nicaragua fast-roast and it was good with tangy brightness that I'm not quite used to in an espresso, but it's not an overpowering element. I tried doing a similar fast-to-first roast and slow-to-finish with a different batch of Nicaragua beans yesterday (ran out of the other bean). Looking forward to seeing how that works-- hoping for that bright tang along with heavy sweetness I usually get with the longer finish.
HottopB, Pasquini Livia 90, Yama Vacpot, etc.

Jump to Forum: