topbanner.gif
December 21 2014 10:13:25
HRO Summer Raffle
Donate
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.

Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"

eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Navigation
bullet2.gif HOMEROASTERS.ORG
bullet2.gif Active Forums
bullet2.gif ALL FORUMS
bullet2.gif Downloads
bullet2.gif News
bullet2.gif Forum FAQ
bullet2.gif Contact Me
bullet2.gif Photo Gallery
bullet2.gif Search
bullet2.gif User's Voice
Forum Threads
Newest Threads
bullet2.gif Rebuild of San Franc...
bullet2.gif Sold Out Sulawesi To...
bullet2.gif CatuaiQ
bullet2.gif How do YOU blend for...
bullet2.gif Controlling two Vacu...
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif What's in Your Ro... [493]
bullet2.gif SIGN UP FOR BULK ... [144]
bullet2.gif Favorite Green Co... [93]
bullet2.gif Quest M3 [89]
bullet2.gif Fracino Roastilino [76]
Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 9

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 3,548
bullet2.gif Newest Member: nfcwest
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 12/21/2014 09:45
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 4030
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Bread Machine Roasters
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Built a Breadmachine Roaster
MarthaG
My husband and I built a bread machine roaster, using an old Breadman brand from Goodwill, and a heat gun. He does the electrical and design, and I do the grunt-work and give advice as I do much of the reading/research for this project.

These are the modifications so far:

Disconnected the electronics and connected a simple on-off switch
Took out the BM heating element
Replaced the Teflon-aluminum pot with a stainless steel restaurant canister and lid (cheaper than what could be had at Goodwill, BTW)
Sandblasted the Teflon off of the mixing paddle
Cut 2 holes in the lid, added a stainless steel tube to bring the hot air down to the bean level
Added an adjustable connecting collar to support the heat gun on the tube at an angle

So far, this is working out pretty good. Roasts of 8 oz. finish to Full City in about 15 minutes, although I could turn up the heat and do it faster, but I think I have been reading that that isn't necessarily a good idea.

We will be adding a thermometer/thermocouple here soon, to get a better idea of what is going on in there. Right now I shine a light into the exhaust hole and check the roast every minute, or even half minute, as the roast is browning. Since the addition of the support for the heat gun, now I can write my notes, use the flashlight, using both hands.

The beans fly around inside so much, I wonder if these bread machines are more like air roasters, but slower, more controllable.

An idea which failed: protecting the air intake holes on the heat gun with window screen so the chaff couldn't get sucked into the gun. It slowed the air down to the point where I had a 40 minute bean-bake. Probably didn't do the heat gun any good, either. The beans smelled awful in a few days, huge difference.

I will post pictures soon.

--Martha

tom957
Looking forward to the pics. Did you do the sandblasting yourself?

MarthaG
Hi Tom, my husband has access to a sandblaster at work. Otherwise I would have used sandpaper. Hopefully this picture will post ok, we are having a lot of trouble making pictures small enough to post.

ginny
Martha:

do send John Despres a picture of your roaster so he can make a banner. we roate the member roasters, mods on the forum top.

ginny

beach
What you're reading is my slow descent into insanity...

MarthaG
Finally I have found out how to make my pictures small enough to post. Thanks to Ginny and John for their help!

Attached should be the bread machine in its current configuration, with heat gun being supported mostly by the metal tube. Also that keeps the heat gun plastic out of the hot pot.
MarthaG attached the following image:
bread_machine_coffee_roaster.jpg

allenb
Hi Martha, nice looking rig! Sounds like you've got the majority of the modding accomplished and are in control of this baby. Great work! Let us know how the coffee's tasting and shoot us any questions that come to mind.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

John Despres
Nice!! Thanks for posting.

Looking forward to the roast reports!

John
Edited by John Despres on 11/24/2012 19:28
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
MarthaG
Thanks Allen and John,
Well the roasting is going along pretty well, but I look forward to adding the thermocouple gizmo. My husband says it is all ready for me to drill the hole in the lid, but with Thanksgiving and house guests all that got put off. Maybe this week we will put it in, then I suspect husband will want to hook it up to a laptop so we can watch a graph in progress. He loves all technology.

My roasts have been ok lately, always too many variables changing to really know what is going on. I have about 10 types of single origin beans I use. Some beans go from 1st crack rapidly to second, some never start second...it is so hard to hear second crack with the heat gun and the bread machine going. But at least the roasts are far better than what I got out of the wok on the beer-making burner. I figure now if I can get the beans to Full City then out of there before Vienna, it is a success!

I'll post a picture of the roaster actually in use on the patio.

Jump to Forum: