topbanner.gif
December 18 2014 21:36:26
HRO Summer Raffle
Donate
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.

Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"

eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Navigation
bullet2.gif HOMEROASTERS.ORG
bullet2.gif Active Forums
bullet2.gif ALL FORUMS
bullet2.gif Downloads
bullet2.gif News
bullet2.gif Forum FAQ
bullet2.gif Contact Me
bullet2.gif Photo Gallery
bullet2.gif Search
bullet2.gif User's Voice
Forum Threads
Newest Threads
bullet2.gif Controlling two Vacu...
bullet2.gif Recent Happy Mug Beans
bullet2.gif Any ideas for a simp...
bullet2.gif Sold Out Sulawesi To...
bullet2.gif NEW (to me) San Fran...
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif What's in Your Ro... [493]
bullet2.gif SIGN UP FOR BULK ... [144]
bullet2.gif Favorite Green Co... [93]
bullet2.gif Quest M3 [89]
bullet2.gif Modifying the Pop... [70]
Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 5

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 3,546
bullet2.gif Newest Member: big
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 12/18/2014 21:14
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 4028
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Bread Machine Roasters
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Some new ideas for my breadmaker roaster
Lawnmowerman
I recently put all my competing roaster build attempts on hold due to various emergencies. This has enabled me to concentrate on my most hideous bread maker roaster. I did a lot of patching to cover all the hacking i had done to it. I fashioned a new, potentially snugger fitting lid with a viewing glass. I used a lot of high temp silicone, but will need another tube before i install pivots that will make it hinge like a breadmaker. I got a cb radio bracket that i can use to install a handle. At the moment i still have to use hot pads. Im looking forward to not needing them. But here is a new one. My machine has the heating element retained. Just in case. Im very glad to have kept it. It gets used for preheating every roast. Lately ive been using it during the entire roast. But it doesnt give me much flexibility, and still not enough control after 1c. Too fast. Turn it off or use the router control and i have to be very careful not to stall. Then it hit me. Throttle the heater.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

Lawnmowerman
I used a dimmer that is commonly used to control popper fans. They are intended for incandescent loads only. Good. I now have 400w variable heat, not switched. Along with 1500 w from the heatgun. Ive tested it to see that it does vary the heat. It is bright orange@ full power. Not as bright@ half power. Will roast in a couple days and give it a spin.

Lawnmowerman
Well, I am very pleased with the dimmer switch addition controlling the breadmaker element. When I had it on full power the roaster would quickly loose heat once it was turned off after preheating. Now I can turn it down to about 7 and it can maintain mytarget preheat temp. without it loosing heat out the machine. Of course this is before adding beans. Naturally there is a drop in temp when the beans are dropped in. Long story short, I can compensate for inefficiencies with this roaster with the extra heat control. Now I plan to make this more efficient with some improvements to the lid. Currently it wobbles corner to corner and Im using foil temporarily. And I believe my heatgun is probably laden with dust and might benefit from a good cleaning. When my life allows it.

Lawnmowerman
Now i have read in other threads how some breadmaker users will have a lid on the inner hopper only. I have tried this but havent been able to pull it off. Seems the air outside the hopper needs to be heated with the gun, too. Or it looses heat. Am I missing something? I have been using this thing for about 18 months now, so Im relatively inexperienced. My lid fits on the outer opening and there is a tube that directs it into the bean hopper, then it deflects back to the lid, which is of the inverted design. So the lid deflects some ofthe air back into the hopper and some outside it, still inside the machine, to envelope it with hot air. The exhaust port is at the bottom, a 1 Inch hole going through a double walled shroud and the outer shell. In past months I have tried different designs in an attempt to increase capacity, but it hasnt worked. Im still intimidated by the thought of wasting over a lb of beans, but Im working up the courage to try lb plus batches. In its current incarnation, I think I can...

PeteH
Lawnmowerman wrote:

The exhaust port is at the bottom, a 1 Inch hole going through a double walled shroud and the outer shell. In past months I have tried different designs in an attempt to increase capacity, but it hasnt worked. Im still intimidated by the thought of wasting over a lb of beans, but Im working up the courage to try lb plus batches. In its current incarnation, I think I can...

I have the exact same setup as yours, 1" hole through both walls at the bottom and lid over outer shell. I also have a switch to the built in 600 watt heating element so I can switch it on too if need be, especially if the beans are cold or my shop is cool. I have roasted over 1 1/2 # with no problems but usually do about 1 # in 12 minutes or so without the built in heating element. I'm using a Harbor Freight heat gun.
Pete

Columbian - Kenya AA
Lawnmowerman
Thanks pete! I must give full credit where it is due for the inspiration. I used the inverted lid design that I read about in one of your threads. Only I was able to get a closer surface to the top edge of the hopper using a split and rejoined baking pan. I had to ask my wife about the tube extending internally and she said I copied you with that too. Thank you. Then I reread all your threads and it seems my cooler is ofthe same design too. Thanks! I seriously apologize for this thread title sounding like one of yours. Didnt realize that.

Lawnmowerman
What i realized when patching holes was that i had to make an inner and outer patch to repair the double wall. I used parts from a breadman, which only has a single wall. So the breadmachine had this hot airflow between both walls and up into the lid. But plastic doesnt work in a coffee roaster. And my lid cut off the convective airflow thru the lid. The lid I am using right now has a couple of rough cuts in the inner surface to allow hot air to enter. Will get some pics soon. Was putting them off until I got the pivot setup worked out. But Ill post what Ive got so far.

PeteH
Lawnmowerman wrote:

Thanks pete! I must give full credit where it is due for the inspiration. I used the inverted lid design that I read about in one of your threads. Only I was able to get a closer surface to the top edge of the hopper using a split and rejoined baking pan. I had to ask my wife about the tube extending internally and she said I copied you with that too. Thank you. Then I reread all your threads and it seems my cooler is ofthe same design too. Thanks! I seriously apologize for this thread title sounding like one of yours. Didnt realize that.

Don't give it a thought, I had even forgotten about posting mine quite a while back. It's a good setup and gets most of the chaff out of the roaster. I am working on making a chaff collector out of some screen to put over the tube so it doesn't blow all over the table. I have also given some thought to bringing a tube out the top of the cover and make a chaff collector on it.

I finally made a "bean unloader" setup to vacuum the beans out of the BM so I don't have to pull the hot bread pan and dump it. Others have probably done so too. Just make a cover for your cooler (I used 1/4" acrylic plastic) that covers the entire top of the bucket. Put a hole in the center of it the size of a vacuum hose and put a hose in the hole and vacuum the beans with the other end of it. They will go into the colander. To break the vacuum just slide the cover off the bucket to break the vacuum then you can lift it off. Works really well.
Pete

Columbian - Kenya AA
Lawnmowerman
Ive got one photo of the roaster with the new lid. It needed some ballast because of the intake port angle. With the heat gun mounted it just wasnt balanced. So covering it is some sheetmetal from a breadman. The lid is adapted from a breadman,as is the mating surface. If I could post higher res photos I could get some more pics taken. This pic was taken before the addition of the dimmer switch.
Lawnmowerman attached the following image:
1028122208a.jpg

Lawnmowerman
I am happy to report that I did a 1 lb roast over the weekend. Since my gun sounds a little weak, I used the extra heat. With dimmer. Worked very nicely. When I first put this together last year I had no router controller. Just a harbor freight h g and an on off switched heat control. I toggled between high and low and heat on and off. I wasnt happy with the control and lacked overhead. Now Im confident that there is enough overhead to do more than a pound.

Lawnmowerman
Also this weekend I made a loading funnel out of a pizza pan and some other stuff. The lower spout has a turn so it fits the heat gun port. Then it protrudes even further into the interior than the tube built into the lid. And the gun fits the top. I am hoping that the funnel will sink the heat away from the gun so I can roast with the funnel on. Remove the funnel and the tube is shorter inside, if that is desired.

Lawnmowerman
Heres a few photos.
1203122241a.jpg

Lawnmowerman
Above photo is the underside lid. There are enough holes in it to allow a nice free flow of hot air to act as an insulating layer. Topside of lid is sealed.
1203122242a.jpg

Lawnmowerman
My new funnel
1203122240b.jpg

Lawnmowerman
A front view
1203122240a.jpg

Lawnmowerman
Ive made a few improvements: firewall insulation, pivoting lid so I dont have to lay it down. Lid now protrudes into the actual breadpan/roast chamber. I did this in an effort to better contain the heat before its usual path through the system.
cam00371-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
The baffle that protrudes into the bean chamber has a cutout for the viewing glass, and will soon be double glaised with pirex on the inner glazing.
cam00370-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
I have been able to roast 1 and a half pounds. I am shooting for two pounds, maybe a kilo.
cam00372-1.jpg

Lawnmowerman
The supports were made from discarded running board end caps. The cooler pictured is fully self contained. I may put in a hook on the inside of the lid to remove the bean bin but at this point I would still be using hotpads so maybe not. Now a fully automated beanftransfer, that wuold be nice.

Jump to Forum: