topbanner.gif
October 01 2014 21:21:58
HRO Summer Raffle
Donate
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.

Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"

eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Navigation
bullet2.gif HOMEROASTERS.ORG
bullet2.gif Active Forums
bullet2.gif ALL FORUMS
bullet2.gif Downloads
bullet2.gif News
bullet2.gif Forum FAQ
bullet2.gif Contact Me
bullet2.gif Photo Gallery
bullet2.gif Search
bullet2.gif User's Voice
Forum Threads
Newest Threads
bullet2.gif Did i buy the wrong ...
bullet2.gif The steadily-declin...
bullet2.gif Question about desig...
bullet2.gif Heat Gun Wiring Help
bullet2.gif TC4 with aArtisan an...
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif What's in Your Ro... [465]
bullet2.gif PID'ed Gas-fired ... [107]
bullet2.gif Enhancing My HotT... [99]
bullet2.gif Enhancing My HotT... [89]
bullet2.gif Freshbeans Air-Ro... [69]
Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 6

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 3,439
bullet2.gif Newest Member: pgdesign
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 10/01/2014 20:55
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 3921
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Fluidbed Roaster
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gas Fired 1 lb Fluidbed Build
allenb
Here's end of roast. My daughter ran off when the camera got too close.

YouTube Video

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
RoasterRob wrote:

Hi Allen
How are you cooling/dumping?
Now while you've got the camcorder out throw some beans in it. BBQ grill

Rob

Rob,

I made the combustion chamber out of a tin can so there would be very little thermal mass. I'm able to cool in the RC and BT drops down to around 200F in 2 min.

To dump I just pull the two springs and lift the RC out of the well and tilt carefully. (I've almost broken the glass a few times now). I'll probably build a sheet metal RC pretty soon.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

RoasterRob
Very cool, I assume cooling is done in the RC? I tend to roast with faster bean movement, not to say there is right or wrong way.

Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

allenb
I've roasted with quite a bit more lift as well. Didn't notice much difference in the cup at least with this one. Yes, I cool in the RC and it's very fast luckily.

BTW Rob, thanks bunch for the help with the RC layout, works fantastic!

Allen

freshbeans
Very nice! You're happy with the stability of the flame?

-Scott

allenb
Hey Scott,

Yes, very happy with flame stability. At maximum cfm I can take the flame down to just barely visible and no flame-outs. I have to take gas pressure to around 8 psi for easy ignition and then bring it down a couple of lbs to be able to start the roast with an ET in the low 300's F.

My next mission is to find a reasonably priced, very fine threaded needle valve to be able to accurately dial in rate of rise. It's presently over and undershooting more than I can live with.

Allen

jberks
Absolutely awesome.

Great work,

I am jealous.

allenb
Thanks James. This was one of my more enjoyable builds. Especially since I didn't have to try several versions of the different parts. It was done in one "take" since Rob (RoasteRob) already did the R&D.

Allen

tamarian
Amazing build, extremely compact and clean. Any plans for PID'ing it?
Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F

http://www.varietalcafe.com
allenb
tamarian wrote:

Amazing build, extremely compact and clean. Any plans for PID'ing it?

Thanks!

Yes, I'll be experimenting fairly soon with PID automation of this roaster using the TC4C and gas control hardware. I'll document the progress in a new thread within the "Dataloggers/Controllers" forum.

BTW, nice engineering on your fluidbed dump gate. Looks like it performs the task very nicely!

Allen

tamarian
Looking forward to the gas control solution!
Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F

http://www.varietalcafe.com
Omega
I'm seriously considering building a roaster similar to this masterpiece that you've made. Very nice!

Do you have a source for the "camp stove mushroom burner"? I'm looking on ebay and having no success in finding one, even with different search terms.

Thanks

Barry

allenb
Thanks,

It looks like they're getting harder to find than when I picked mine up.

This one should work well but each different model requires a different mounting arrangement to attach to the bottom of your roaster. Strip off the pot stand hardware.

http://www.ebay.c...461d79f3ec

If you end up feeding it propane then just cut the hose and splice to a propane regulator hose via barbed fitting. When you mount the burner, make sure you keep the venturi air inlet within the interior of the roaster (blower side).

Allen

allenb
Here's another one that's less $ but doesn't have a spark igniter.

http://www.amazon...B00DIHT044

The nice thing about the other model with the igniter is you can pull the striker, add length to the high voltage wire and re-mount to your roaster body where convenient.

Allen

Omega
Thanks for the links, Allen. I put several of the camp stoves on my ebay "watch list" last night, thinking that, perhaps, the burner was removed, like you have said.

The wheels in my head are turning faster, thinking about putting a roaster like yours together!

Omega
Got a question for you, allenb: the variac that you are using is 3 amps, but I would think that the vacuum motor is drawing something over 8 amps or more.

Please help me understand why the variac isn't rated for more than 3 amps.

I'm assembling the parts and pieces to make a fluid bed roaster similar to yours and don't want to spend more on a variac than necessary. Most of the vacuum motors I'm looking at draw around 8 amps, and if I could use a smaller variac, I would save some money and space in an enclosure.

Thanks, Barry

allenb
The 3 amp variac and stainless enclosure used with the 1 lb fluidbed was originally part of a 1/4 lb fluidbed. When I decided to go for a gas fired 1 lbr, I lucked out in that the vacuum motor only drew around 2 to 3 amps when fully lifting the 1 lb load of beans. This vacuum motor will draw somewhere between 8 and 10 amps at full rpm under load (being used in a vacuum cleaner). So, you should have no problem using a small 3 amp variac with your roaster at the lower power levels needed for lifting a pound of coffee.

Allen

Omega
allenb wrote:

The 3 amp variac and stainless enclosure used with the 1 lb fluidbed was originally part of a 1/4 lb fluidbed. When I decided to go for a gas fired 1 lbr, I lucked out in that the vacuum motor only drew around 2 to 3 amps when fully lifting the 1 lb load of beans. This vacuum motor will draw somewhere between 8 and 10 amps at full rpm under load (being used in a vacuum cleaner). So, you should have no problem using a small 3 amp variac with your roaster at the lower power levels needed for lifting a pound of coffee.

Allen

Thanks for the good info, allenb! ThumbsUp

Jump to Forum: