Drip Brewer: Technivorm Moccamaster CD
EddieDove
Product Reviewed: Moccamaster CD
Manufacturer: Technivorm
Average Price: Varies
Price Paid: $189.00
Where Bought: Boyds.com
Owned for: 5 months

Bottom Line: Your favorite coffee can taste the same at home as it does in the coffee shop.

Positive Product Points
Brews superior, very hot coffee
Simplicity (no clock, no timer, no built-in grinder), fewer things to break
Solid, heavy construction
Access to grounds during brew cycle (for stirring)

Negative Product Points
Prefer slightly greater capacity
Convenience for some (no clock, no timer, no built-in grinder)

Detailed Commentary
Technivorm Moccamaster CD (Clement Design):

Have you ever purchased coffee shop beans because you wanted to experience the same great coffee at home, only to be disappointed? I got so frustrated that I began to do some research and became familiar with proper brew temperature, proper extraction time, burr grinders, quality of water, etc. All of the research indicated that the only automatic drip brewer that satisfied all the requirements was a Technivorm. After setting up this coffee maker and figuring out the variables (coarseness of grind, coffee to water ratio, etc.) I was able to brew coffee at home that tasted just like it did in the coffee shop!

Specifications:
Brew Temp = 200º+ F
Brew Time = ~ 7 minutes for a full pot
Dimensions = 14 5/8” tall x 11” wide x 5” deep
Weight = 5+ lbs
Cord = heavy gauge, three prong grounded, over 48” long
Electrical = 1475 watts, 120 volts, 13 amps
Capacity = 1.25 liters (~42.24 ounces), 10 cup (European), about 8 cups U.S. (5 oz)
Filter = #4 Cone, paper or permanent (purchased separately)
Certification = Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA)
Warranty = 1 year U.S.
Made in Holland

Arrival, Setup & First Impression:
Get excited about the plain packaging; they put the money into the coffee maker.

The instructions are printed on the equivalent of a single 8 1/2" x 11” sheet of paper folded in half to make four pages; one of which is used for the cover. That leaves only three, half-sheet-sized pages of text to read. Read the manual.

It takes only a minute to set it up. The weight and materials give the impression of solid durability.

Making Coffee:
Brewing coffee in this coffee maker is just as easy as any other automatic drip brewer; however, it can appeal to the individual that wishes to turn it on and walk away as well as the person that likes to be intimately involved with the brewing process.

1) Add proper amount of water
2) Insert coffee filter (paper or permanent)
3) Add the proper amount of ground coffee to suit your taste

Now you have one of two options:

4) Put the carafe in place, turn it on and let it brew

or

4) Leave the carafe off for about 30 seconds or so and stir the “slurry”
5) Put carafe in place and monitor progress

This brewer does have a “pause and serve” feature, but in using this feature one will defeat the benefits of the funnel feature that is built into the lid on the carafe. As coffee brews, the brew gets “weaker” and this feature does a good job of mixing the coffee so that it is consistent in the carafe.

Amongst the other variables, proper water brewing temperature is essential to good coffee (195º – 205º F) and I have measured water coming out of the brew head at 205.3ºF. I have measured the temperature atop the “slurry” between 200º – 204º F. The now standard nine-hole shower head does a good job of adequately saturating the grounds.

Because this coffee maker does nothing but brew coffee it has only two switches and I consider one of them extraneous. One switch is for on / off and the other switch is to make the hotplate even hotter. The manual states to put the hotplate switch in the “+” position, which is the hotter of the two. I do not find this necessary as I have accidentally touched the hotplate and can attest to the fact that it is already quite hot. Leaving coffee on the burner will just cook the coffee, which defeats the purpose of brewing excellent coffee in the first place. I always transfer my freshly brewed coffee to a thermos rated for 24 hours hot / cold.

The results are in the cup and this coffee maker brews a colossal cup of coffee. I can actually taste subtle varietal flavors that are actually part of the coffee bean (i.e., blueberry, cherry, chocolate, orange honey, etc.). I now roast my own coffee and with this coffee maker, I am confident that I am getting the best flavor the coffee has to offer.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you want to do less cleanup, then use your thumb to apply a little pressure and raise the carafe lid just a bit before you pour. There is a small lip on the underside of the lid and it causes a mess unless you lift the lid just a bit.

Cleaning Up:
Everything comes apart easily for cleaning. That means that the lid separates from the carafe without making your arms flail and possibly breaking the carafe. Even a thorough cleaning of the funnel can be accomplished with a cotton swab, pipe cleaner, or rolled up paper towel. Cleanliness is an important factor for any coffee maker because the oils left behind from previous brews will go rancid and ruin your coffee.

There is a visual indicator (clear tube) that is supposed to indicate (by becoming cloudy) when it is time to descale the brewer. I can only assume that this works because I keep it descaled and have not waited for the tube to become cloudy.

Cost:
The cost of this brewer can be a cause of trepidation for some. That is understandable and I felt the same way when I thought about spending this much, but I really love coffee. What I have found is a truly superior coffee maker that allows me to enjoy the finest cup of coffee with the convenience of an automatic drip brewer. Since I have started roasting my own coffee and using this brewer, my wife even drinks and enjoys coffee, and she always hated it before. I do not begrudge Technivorm one cent for this fine machine and I would not hesitate to buy another.

Other Considerations:
There are other factors that go into making a great cup of coffee:
1) Good, fresh coffee ground immediately before brewing
2) Use of a quality flat or conical burr grinder
3) Use of good quality water
4) Filter medium and quality thereof
5) etc., etc., etc.
6) Patience to tweak things until its just the way you like it!

I hope this is helpful ... If I left anything out or you wish to ask me questions, just email me.

Buying Experience
I had read such good things about Boyd’s that I was actually looking forward to dealing with them, but my experience was substantially less than positive. I had been waiting for them to get a new shipment of Technivorms from the manufacturer because their stock was completely depleted; I do not fault them for this because they were waiting on the manufacturer. My wife went to check and it appeared that they were in stock so she ordered it next-day air. We were then contacted and told they were not in stock. It was apparently a referring web page that was no longer updated.

We called back to check on the status and it was just one problem after another: no record of the order, record of the order but not shipped, etc. I found out recently that they have been upgrading their systems, which if that was going on at the time we ordered then it would explain some of the problems. It does not excuse the fact that customer service treated us like an annoyance rather than like a valued customer. The coffee that came with the brewer was stale, but I didn't order the brewer for the coffee. Perhaps my experience was just an anomaly, but for future purchases, I have another vendor from whom I will make my acquisitions.
Edited by EddieDove on 11/15/2006 21:02

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
Ascholten
eo thank you for this write up. I have been seriously thinking of getting one of these (along with a buttload of other coffee goodies, but now am pretty much convinced I will have to get one of these IF I do not get my monster pot Im gonna hack and redo up to par with temps.

Great writeup you covered pretty much anything one would want to ask and it wasn't just a, got it, love it. or got it, it sucks ass type of post.

thank you
Bean there Done that, donated the T-shirt to the Church of the Second crack.... St Beanyface

EddieDove
LOL! Thank you!

What are you gonna hack and how?
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

EddieDove
Ascholten,

Did you ever get your monster pot up to par with temps?
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

Tim
I am exploring the possibility of buying one of the Technovorm brewers, if I can me wife on board. But somebody told me elsewhere the Newco OCS-8 is a more reasonably priced alternative.
Any thoughts anyone?
One problem--I have found a number of Technovorm dealers but so far not one Newco dealer. Can anybody steer me to a review of the Newco machine and where I could buy one?c:3

www.timplett.blogspot.com
EddieDove
Tim,

The Newco OCS-8 may cost less, but I am unsure of its longevity as compared to the Technivorm. The one I have is "built like a tank." I believe the Thermal carafe is glass lined and people seem to be buying extras of the carafes ... just in case I guess. My understanding is that they are also made in China and at times run low on inventory deciding whether or not it is financially viable to order the production of another container.

Hope this is helpful ...
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

Tim
Thanks for the information. I think I will keep my sights on a Technovorm at some point in the future.c:5

www.timplett.blogspot.com
Jump to Forum: