bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 3681
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » CUPPING - BREWING » In The Cup
Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's in your cup?
DaveG
Having just gone through my first few lbs. of the first beans I bought after being bit by the roasting bug, I'm now extremely curious about what coffees you guys are enjoying. Maybe some suggestions for future purchase, if you feel like offering.
My first batch was 4lbs. of Ethiopian varieties, Harrar Longberry, Sidamo, Limu, and Yirgacheffe, all purchased from a company in Alaska. Just found the site online and went for it.
All of these were very good, and I've been amazed at the difference in super fresh coffee.
I've just received 3lbs. of different types from SM's and looking forward to trying them. The first was a Guatemalan Finca La Florentina 100% Bourbon, and it was very different than the winey Etiopian's. I may just like winey coffee. We'll press on and see.
What's turning your roaster drum at the moment?
Share the good word.

MarkBart
The SM Double 8-pack sampler is a good idea, 1lb of 8 green coffee beans especially picked for you. The regular 8-pack with 1/2 lb of 8 coffees is also good if you want to keep expensices down or can only roast small volumes. They will mix you an 8-pack from all the coffee growing regions of the world. and you can compare your taste experiences to Tom's professional tasting notes or from the tasting notes here. (depending on your water, elevation, power, roasting style, brewing style, grinding style, etc your tasting may vary)
I'm so Bad, I'm Good! www.homeroasters.org/php/images/smiley/cool.gif
I'm putting the small back into Small Business!

dBndbit
Right now I'm drinking a beautiful deep-flavored FTO Rwanda Rushashi from BurmanCoffee. It's very similar to a good Kenyan. Powerful. In fact, all four of the FT coffees I have now from Burman's are very good, 2 cafs and 2 decafs.

Overall I like all kinds of coffee, but my favorites are definitely the wild and unpredictable East Africans.

I like MarkBart's methodology, too. Sample packs are a great way to learn about single-origin beans AND check out the vendor as well. What has surprised me is how few stinkers I've received. So to me it tastes like the green bean industry is doing a terrific job.

... or it could be that coffee beans are tough little critters, able to put up with a lot of abuse and still taste great!
Jim
11 years old... forever!
ReeferDoor.com
>home-built roasters and fair trade

http://www.ReeferDoor.com
EddieDove
Three distinctly different delights of the exquisite elixir today:

Guatemala Chimentenango - Finca San José Ocaña
Rwanda Duhingekawa Women's Cooperative
Sumatra Organic Mandheling

... all are from Sweet Maria's.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
bvwelch
We started with the 8 lb. sampler from SweetMarias also. It was a good way to try various coffees.

So far, we like the Sumatras the best. We've found that if the review uses terms like "bright" or "citrus", we don't like those so well. But we continue to explore and experiment, but keep enough Sumatra on-hand for our morning cup.

-bill

ps: we've been pleased with SweetMaria's flat-rate USPS service to Alabama.

RockinJava9
Uganda Bugisu, dripped through a swissgold 1-cup... Wonderful, rich, well rounded cup of Joe! Ugi-bugi is always a favorite of mine! Purchased from Green Coffee Buyers Club...

-Brett
:@Grin:@GrinShockGrin:@Grin:@
Edited by RockinJava9 on 06/19/2008 07:45

www.brettmasonconsulting.com
MarkBart
This morning's coffee will be Colonia Challamayo, a AA Superior Grade Bolivian from <strong>www.Inval...m at $3.37 a pound. I found this distributor on Ebay and did a leap of faith, and it worked, I'm on my second 66# bag.
The description said chocolate, sweet, almonds, and with a cupping score of 83 of 100, very similar to SM's offerings, I couldn't stop from jumping on this one. This is the daily coffee for the wife and myself.
Edited by MarkBart on 06/19/2008 08:09

seedlings
A return to Coffee Bean Direct's Sumatra Mandheling, Full City+. I tried it a little darker this time, but don't care for it as well as when it's about City+ at the first snap of 2C. This time I let 2nd roll for about 15 seconds before dumping. It lost the chocolate and leather taste and seems a little flat... still better than what's offered at the grocer!

CHAD
Don't put the cart before the horse. Put the horse in the cart and listen to him say "weeeee" all the way down the hill.

DaveG
WOW..that's great stuff. Keep it coming! I especially appreciated bvwelch's comments about finding a particular description used in describing taste, as something he personally didn't prefer. Much like what I said earlier as finding a "winey" coffee being to my taste. Hearing these comments, even if very personal and not meant to be a judgement call on the quality of the coffee, helps one evaluate those terms somewhat.
I know that those of you more refined in your experience may find that rather simple. That's exactly what I find most helpful. Thank you!

seedlings
I've found that I'm a sucker for the Sugar Browning aromas, like "Chocolaty" (vanilla, dark chocolate and buttery) and "Carmelly" (maple syrup, honey, toasted almonds or hazlenut). We had been drinking a Guatamala Palhu Huehuetenango from www.coffeebeancor... and it has those flavors in droves, like hershey's chocolate syrup and sweet too! So the switch back to Sumatra this week was a small letdown.

You like the winey coffees? If you drum roast, you may prefer an air roast method as they tend to give a nice bright snap to the roasts while the drum tends to mute them just a little.

You can mute a sound, but can you mute a flavor?
CHAD
Don't put the cart before the horse. Put the horse in the cart and listen to him say "weeeee" all the way down the hill.

DaveG
Would I be correct in saying I have an air roast machine since I have a Cafe Gene?

seedlings
DaveG wrote:
Would I be correct in saying I have an air roast machine since I have a Cafe Gene?

Yes, the Genecafe is an air roaster! I haven't used one, but it should serve you well.

CHAD

EddieDove
DaveG wrote:

Yes, sort of ...

The Gene Cafe is a hybrid borrowing from both drum and air roasters. It does use forced hot air, but is not a fluid-bed roaster because the the air is not use for bean agitation; it uses the off-axis rotation of the drum for agitation of the beans.

I found flavor development of the Gene Cafe roasts to have qualities of both the fluid-bed roasters (brightness) and the drum roaster (deeper tones), but leaned toward the air roasters.

I can still remember the cinnamon roast of the 2006 Ethiopia Organic Idido Misty Valley DP from Sweet Maria's ... what a fantastic cup of coffee!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

EddieDove
This morning, I was awakened by my wife and son bringing a cup of Sumatra Organic Mandheling to the bedside! Great way to wake up!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

DaveG
Going into my first order from Sweet Maria's. I got a nice surprise when I roasted my first batch of Panama Carmen Estate 1800+ Meters.
I'll leave the formal description to the SM website, but it's delicious. I even went back to the vacuum carafe 3-4 hrs after the pot was made, and reheated it was still excellent. Definately the pick of the three lb. litter.

seedlings
Roasted my last pound of the Panama Typica from www.theroasterie.com 2 nights ago. I really, really like this coffee. With only two days rest, a bright snap (with a vague flavor at the moment) followed by a very mellow carmel. It will taste even better tomorrow. My multimeter thermocouple decided to go belly up while roasting, so I just listened and smelled into a nice City roast. It isn't overroasted this time!

CHAD

MarkBart
What use is a broken thermocouple when you have the well calibrated ear and nose!
OLE!

seedlings
MarkBart wrote:
What use is a broken thermocouple when you have the well calibrated ear and nose!
OLE!

...um, it looks wickedly geeky cool?

CHAD

MarkBart
Chad's an AB Wannabe! Nay Nay!

( just pulling your chain)

Mark <== Geek from Day one

BoldJava
Sipping a Cafe Yolanda, a national jury winner from Bolivia via Invalsa:

http://www.invalsa.com/index.php?cPath=43_83_94

We had a Boliviathon down near Chicago and I roasted up 8 Bolivians and one Philippino liberica. The Bolivians were superb and the liberica was in a word, horrid. Ever drink roasted barley mixed with asphalt?

This morning's cup was prepped in a Yama 8-cup, Corning rod (bit smaller than a Cory rod). Fragrance has hints of cedar and black pepper. The cup is extremely balanced, medium body, moves to the sweet side (as do many quality Bolivians), caramel, faint creamy feel, light cocoas, hint of orange, great acidity for what is presented. Fills the mouth.

Delightful.

B|Java
Edited by BoldJava on 11/11/2008 05:49
http://sidewalkmy...
Dave Borton
Milwaukee, WI

http://sidewalkmystic.com
Jump to Forum:
Member Poll
Do you drink any espresso drinks?

Yes all the time.

Nope only cups of coffee drip or whatever.

I enjoy a single or doppio at times.

Capps and Lattes yes...

Have never tried any espresso or espresso based dr

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

ginny
04/23/2014 06:44
markyoung welcome2 and thanks fro joining us Mark...

allenb
04/22/2014 19:07
m@@ Howdy! coffee drink

JackH
04/22/2014 14:28
welcome cup albertalvarez2222 Thanks for joining!

John Despres
04/21/2014 17:50
ThumbsUp

allenb
04/21/2014 16:06
Big Welcome to our parade of new members! welcome to forum

JackH
04/21/2014 16:02
Welcome reedje777 thanks for joining!

JackH
04/21/2014 16:00
Welcome to Homeroasters polaris_ua enjoy the forums! pouring

JackH
04/21/2014 15:58
welcome2 BenKeith to Homeroasters!

ginny
04/21/2014 08:07
Noctorous Welcome thanks for joining us...

ginny
04/21/2014 08:06
Avyossii Welcome enjoy...

allenb
04/20/2014 19:47
JasonMck Welcome! BBQ grill

Lylabrown
04/20/2014 16:20
Hey Jack, Yep, 25a double SSR as seen here: http://img829.ima.
..g132oi.jpg

JackH
04/20/2014 16:13
@Lylabrown Was it the 25A SSR?

Airhan
04/20/2014 14:31
Nice banner for Spring/Easter Ginny ^

Lylabrown
04/20/2014 13:34
Hey Allen, the brand is "111ager" sold by Auberins. It is well pasted+screwed to metal chassy, which never got beyond warm. Roaster was fused with 20a buss + 20a thermofuse, neither blew.