Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hi from Pennsylvania
StarryNightDave
Greetings,

I've been roasting for many years now and was very happy to find your website. I started roasting about the time when SweetMarias.com got started, which was about 12 years ago?

I also have experimented with roasting things OTHER than green coffee beans based on historical articles from Civil War times. Coffee was scarce and VERY expensive, so they looked for alternatives roasting everything from Acorns and Asparagus tips to Okra seeds. In particular, I roasted a sweet potato, ground it up, and made coffee with it in my drip machine. If anyone is interested, I can post the results.

But, coffee is still my main passion. I have used hot air poppers till they wore out. Now I mostly use frying pans. I'm thinking of making a real roaster and also would love to start my own micro roasting store (but that darn economy thingy is a real pain.)

So anyway, thanks for such a great web site and Forum.

Dave :)
Edited by StarryNightDave on 11/28/2009 7:41 PM

John Despres
OK, so does roasting and brewing asparagus make it better? f it makes it worse, how could you tell? I'm up for just about anything, but roasted asparagus... NOT!

However - just for trying - :Clap:

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings
Roasted some pumpkin seeds last month in the popper. My daughter asked about grinding and brewing them to see what pumpkin coffee tasted like. Maybe I should have taken her up...

Welcome to the site and great story!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

StarryNightDave
Hey guys,

Just consider how different roasted coffee is from green beans. I haven't tried asparagus, but it might not be that bad. The sweet potato I tried was surprising. If I had not been told it was NOT coffee, I would have thought it was just a different type of coffee. The color was amazing - deep rich dark brown with some crema. The roasting process obviously transforms certain foods into similar, coffee-like drinks.

The preferred non-coffee of choice during the Civil War seemed to be acorns, followed by okra seeds or sweet potatoes. I can't find food-grade acorns other than squirrel food, and okra sees are only for planting. They also roasted corn, corn meal, nuts, beets, and even made coffee from burnt sugar.

I may try beets next.

Jump to Forum: