renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
air roaster
dja
here's where I am ar with this roaster idea that I have had for quite sometime. anyway I started this thing out after buying the pyrex tube that you will see in the included photo.

Anyway the thing is going to hopefully work basicly like a giant hot air popper, I tried it with about a pound of greens throwed in it, usign the shop vac to blow the beans around, had good circulation, so I will just have to see.

Anyway here's a picture of what i am trying to do.
dja attached the following image:
roaster-pic3.jpg

Edited by dja on 08/28/2010 11:17 PM
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

Koffee Kosmo
Very good job

I am yet to start my air roaster that is based on Roaster Robs design
However at this stage I am still loving the results I am getting from my Hybrid Turbo roaster

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Unta
very similar to a sketch I did a few months back when chad was designing his electric air roaster...just remember to gasket that glass in the top and bottom plates, it will expand. Awesome fab job.
sean
Unta attached the following image:
2lbroasterificcontrolomaticderyier.jpg

Edited by Unta on 08/29/2010 5:35 AM
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb
Ditto on the great fab job!

What is your plan for dumping and heat source?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

seedlings
I am going to love watching this beast come together!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
Looks very elegant! ....Video friendly in fact! -Scott

seedlings
David, what's the bottom plate look like where the air comes up into the tube?

CHAD

dja
here is what the (lets call it) the middle section. Looks like.
there is a peice of screen wire which is helt into the recess you see cut into the bottom of the part in the picture, it is helt in place by an aluminum ring that is helt in place by two set screws. right now the only change I see to the way it works is to change the screen from hardware cloth to stainless steel from Small Parts.com.
Once I am able to control the air flow I will know if I will have to change this to something else. so right now no reason to get expensive and buy the good stuff yet.
roaster4_1.jpg

Edited by dja on 09/03/2010 8:20 AM

dja
top side of middle section, as they say at NASA the bean side.
roaster5_1.jpg

Edited by dja on 09/03/2010 8:21 AM

seedlings
Wow. I lust for fabrication skills. Brilliant!

(waits for video)

CHAD

dja
to answer Allen's question about dumping.
the top just sits on the heat section which is the bottom 4.5 inch tube, the top is heavy enough to sit there without moving, plus it sits in a 1/4" deep recess that I cut in the top plate of the heater section.
From what I learned yesterday I will be able to bring the air in from the side, and not have to go up thru the bottom which I didn't want to do as it would of added another 6" in height to the thing, and as it is its almost 3' tall (add some lights and call it a Xmas tree).
how to mount the heat coil, gonna have to cut the thing up and weld it inside that steel tube, then figure out how to string it for maximum coverage with the shortest possible amount of NiChrome. plus I need to find some ceramic pass thru insulators, of I guess I could just do it Junkyard and let the wires hang out the bottom, I already have a hole there that I used to bolt the plates together so I could mill em to the same size.

oh yea one more thing, anymore questions?

Now if I could just get back to melting Iron!
Edited by dja on 09/03/2010 8:41 AM

dja
while two of the last three brain cells were figthing for ownership of my body the other one has I think figured out how to mount the heating coil into the heater section of this nightmare that I have launched myself adrift in.

My main problem is I have about 6 feet of 19 gauge NiC coiled wire, now if I just start hacking on this I will end up with a whole bunch of little useless peices, and to the same point if I cut it in half I will either have two peices that won't make enough heat which I am going to have to start triming on and then we have the little short useless peices,

I guess just close my eyes and cut the thing didn't cost me anything, so if I stat long and keep shortening it somewhere I will find the correct length.

dja
and I quote
The roaster-chamber base; Is that a little something you popped out of a CNC? Great funnel shape!! -Scott

no it wasn't cut on a CNC Machine, I turned it on a 9X20 lathe that I have.
The shape and size of the cone actually came from a plastic funnel that I bought at the grocery store and cut to fit inside the Pyrex tube and into a hole that was originally in the bottom plate on the tube.
the recess in the bottom came from the fact that I didn't want to have to turn almost and inch off of the bottom to thin it down, which would of left me with a one peice roaster, as it is I am easily able to change the screen to a differant size of from screen to a perferated plate. and it has a soft connection that dosen't require any latches due to the weight keeping it together.

have a nice day

JETROASTER
Dan posted this link recently. It's a great candy store plus some good charts and info. http://www.infrar...aters.com/
Edited by JETROASTER on 09/04/2010 8:56 AM

dja
found that site like 4 years ago

dja
matter of fact I need to order up some high temp wire and terminals from them, gotta be safe when playing with roasters you know

Unta
yeah the whole privacy content thing is confusing..ive had my fair share of problems with it. video worked...movement looks good!how are you controling air flow?
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb

dja wrote:

My main problem is I have about 6 feet of 19 gauge NiC coiled wire, now if I just start hacking on this I will end up with a whole bunch of little useless peices, and to the same point if I cut it in half I will either have two peices that won't make enough heat which I am going to have to start triming on and then we have the little short useless peices,

What voltage, 220, 221? What wattage?
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

dja

Unta wrote:
yeah the whole privacy content thing is confusing..ive had my fair share of problems with it. video worked...movement looks good!how are you controling air flow?
sean

In the video I was trying to control by bleeding air off by holding the vac hose to the side, that won't work in the real world so vac will be plugged into the trusty variac.

Allenb wrote:
What voltage, 220, 221? What wattage?
I have to get the new cage build up for the NiC first, gonna make it adjustable length wise so I can shorten the NiC accordingly, then I'm gonna chop off a third of the coil and go from there, and its gonna be 220 VAC, I would rather have too much heat than barely enough.:Clap:
Edited by dja on 09/05/2010 12:03 AM

dja
AllenB, if you have a Sunbeam C-30 the guy at DaySeal has the new gaskets for them, anyone else out there that has this coffee maker and would like a new gasket contact www.DAYSEAL.com check out this site.
Edited by dja on 09/09/2010 9:53 PM

dja
AllenB; I think it was you that asked how I was going to install the NiC coil.
Here is a picture of just how that is going to happen, the thing is made so that I can shorten the length of the coil without unstringing it. It will mount in the center of the bottom plate of the heat chamber, now if only the thing will work and was finished so i could move onto small and less complicated project like the steam engine that I want to build.
heater-coil.jpg

Edited by dja on 09/09/2010 10:00 PM

allenb

dja wrote:
AllenB; I think it was you that asked how I was going to install the NiC coil.
Here is a picture of just how that is going to happen, the thing is made so that I can shorten the length of the coil without unstringing it. It will mount in the center of the bottom plate of the heat chamber, now if only the thing will work and was finished so i could move onto small and less complicated project like the steam engine that I want to build.

Thanks for the vac pot gasket tip. Mine is Cory though but he said he would make one for me down the road.

Good idea on the heating element being able to be adjusted easily for wattage!

Allen
Edited by allenb on 09/09/2010 10:44 PM

dja
I'm going to try to figure out how much of the coil to cut off today if I can steal the time, (have a 12" lathe that I picked up in Ft Worth yesterday to unload and get inside). I was going to put the insulators on all thread but then I got to thinking (which is danguros) that that was a pretty stupid idea, cause if the coil length had to be changed I would have to unstring the thing. So I made a new rod so that it is threaded on both ends one to screw into the bottom plate, and the other end for the top insulator, the second insulator is drilled out to fit the rod and has a set screw in it.

Now if I have to change the length of the coil all I have to do is lossen the set screw and slide the insulator along while slowly re weaving the coil. not rocket sicence but it will work.

That setup should with the right length on the NiChrome provide plenty of heat, wish I had some of the thin Ceramic fiber insulator to wrap around the inside of the steel tube.

Anyway its back to work on the patterns for the air intake casting I need too hook up the Vac Hose.

Roflmao

seedlings
David, Are you using 220V or 120V?

'Next time' I'll have a custom heat element like yours. I like it.

CHAD

dja
if you call being made by a red neck Custom, just my tinkering at the kitchen table Chad. gonna hook it to 220 but would like to drop it to 110 if possible as that would make it lots easier to string an extenstion cord out to the back yard for launch day.

I made the heater so that if I have to change the length of the element I don't have to unstring it to reset the gap between the insulators. Which I think is going to get a big work out till I find the right length on the NiC coil.

Happy Roasting as Little Jaun Valdez says down in them Columbian High Lands:Clap:
Edited by dja on 09/10/2010 1:07 PM

Jump to Forum: