Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Android Roasting App - Interested?
Yes Yes 100%[15 Votes]
No No 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 15
 Print Thread
Android Roasting App
scarter11
I developed a windows based application a few months back that functioned similiar to the web-based coffee roasting application that stoneguard created, but wasn't really happy with the performance and usability.

I have recently been accepted as a beta tester for Google's new App Inventor developer program, and thought what a great way to test it's capabilities. With the popularity of the new touch screen smartphones, why not use that to make a highly portable coffee roasting data collector.

With the immense popularity of Apple's iPad, there are now numerous Android based pad computers and more are in development. The app could be used on this type of hardware as well.

I like many of the usability features of stoneguard's web based app, so I would like to borrow some of his concepts (with his permission, of course.)

The app will be free, with a donate option if you would like to support my efforts.

I wanted to create a poll to gauge people's interest in this project.

Scott

endlesscycles
I would love an android based data logger that overlays on the temperature recipe, with the option of either saving or discarding the roast. Would it be possible to adapt a type-K for one of the ports on a smartphone?
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Unta
I will be an android owner the day its available. ktype input would be very handy.
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

scarter11

endlesscycles wrote:
I would love an android based data logger that overlays on the temperature recipe, with the option of either saving or discarding the roast. Would it be possible to adapt a type-K for one of the ports on a smartphone?

I'll have to do some research on that. If we could come up with a blue tooth type-K controller, I don't see why not. For an Android pad computer, it should be easy.

JETROASTER
I've been using the droid X for about 2 weeks. I'll be watching!! -Scott

endlesscycles
Just found this. It's basically worthless, though.
http://www.appbra...fferoaster
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

bvwelch
Sounds like a cool project!

If there is any interest, bluetooth could be added to our tc4 project. but bluetooth isn't all that cheap. what sort of budget do we have to work with?
Edited by bvwelch on 10/19/2010 1:03 PM

Dan
Clearly, the hurdle is coming up with a way to input temperature from a TC. I would investigate using the existing microphone jack as a possible input. Both the TC and a microphone are analog, DC, low voltage inputs. Something to consider.

stoneguard
Scott (scarter11).

You definitely have my permissions to reuse anything you see fit from my site. I can provide you sources, if you want, though it is all in PHP. I would be very interested in seeing how we could allow upload to the site once the data is saved, for sharing purposes.

I love the idea of a datalogger. Do androids come with a mini-usb? If so, wonder if that could be adapted to the TC4.

stoneguard
Interesting link giving the details of the K-type voltage readings. http://electronic...f-out.aspx

scarter11

Dan wrote:
Clearly, the hurdle is coming up with a way to input temperature from a TC. I would investigate using the existing microphone jack as a possible input. Both the TC and a microphone are analog, DC, low voltage inputs. Something to consider.

Talk about thinking outside the box. Unfortunately, most phones don't have a mic jack. Just mini / micro usb, headphone, and micro ssd. I agree that bluetooth would be quite expensive.

bvwelch
I think bluetooth modules for Arduino cost around $20 and up. Not as bad as I first thought.

I'm assuming that the 'USB jack' on these Androids is the target/slave end. The arduino is the same, so I don't think we could just plug and play. However, there are some USB 'host' shields for the Arduino, around $25 I think.

For outside the box-- OCR a handheld TC meter using the phone's camera. Probably no good since it won't focus too well. :-)

Dan, I like your microphone idea - surely the modern phones still support the older 'wired' headset/mic. Perhaps some sort of audio-frequency-shift-keying would work. like some of the HF digital radio techniques.
http://code.googl...trackuino/
Edited by bvwelch on 10/19/2010 7:51 PM

scarter11
I need to check that. The newer phones have a 3.5" jack instead of the 2.5", but it should have ground plus left right and mic. Let me dig out my htc manual.

JETROASTER
I'll check the X manual. -Scott

scarter11
It is feasible that I could use the mic amplitude value and somehow convert that to a temperature value. Looking through the android API, there is a getAmplitude function that returns an integer.

Dan, since both a mic and and a TC are low voltage inputs, there shouldn't be much risk to damage the audio circuitry on my phone by running a TC into the mic jack, right?

bvwelch
What sort of accuracy are you wanting from the TC? It's kind of a tough problem, involving amplifying a very weak signal and also getting a separate reading of the ambient temperature. If you don't want to use an Arduino and tc4-shield, you might look at something like the AD595AQ chip, but it is kinda pricey.
Edited by bvwelch on 10/20/2010 9:34 AM

Unta
I would think that 1 degree F accuracy would be best, but a bit less would be ok maybey 1 degree C. Considering that we are using a TC in an active bean bed, consistency is the most important aspect IMO. I'm sure some would disagree.sean
Edited by Unta on 10/20/2010 9:48 AM
Sean Harrington
educate.

JETROASTER
The tech spec page for the X

http://www.motoro...-US-EN.alt

bvwelch

freshbeans wrote:
The tech spec page for the X

http://www.motoro...-US-EN.alt

So, it does have autofocus after all. Try some snapshots of a handheld TC meter -- OCR might be the easiest solution -- especially if the 'live preview' screen of the camera looks readable and is auto-focused.

JETROASTER
I don't have a hand held, but it did autofocus on my keyboard ...very sharp. Scott

JETROASTER
Does anyone think this is applicable?
http://www.androi...-part-one/

-Scott

seedlings
An LG VUE roasting App? I'm IN!!!

<sigh>
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
How would the hdmi jack play into this? Scott

scarter11
As far as I know, that is just an output port. Hd video plus sound.

freshbeans wrote:
How would the hdmi jack play into this? Scott

You guys thinking the app could use the camera and OCR to get the reading from a cheap tc. I'm sure that would work. I would need to fashion some type of stand that would maintain a specific distance between phone and readout to minimize focusing.

JETROASTER
Most of the OCR I've found seems to be server based...seemed a little slow. I'm hoping to get a trial from ABBYY. That one runs on the mobile. We'll see. -Scott

Jump to Forum: