Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Try it!
opus
Come on folks, put aside your electronic gizmos and see what my world is like. I just noticed this forum and will be glad to help out when I can.

John Despres
Cuz I just started this forum. Someone's gonna want information and you da MAN! And I mean you da MAN because I've tasted your skillet roasted coffee.
ThumbsUp

John
Edited by John Despres on 01/02/2011 1:45 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

dja
frist beans I ever roasted was in a cast iron skillet, owner of Roasters Exchange here in OKC gave me a quarter pound of columbian and told me ot roast em in a skillet cowboy style, only thing he didn't say was to do it outside, well that year in January was a tab bit cold to be outside roasting coffee in the dark in a skillet. So I did it inside all the way to second crack. I think everyone can figure out the rest
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

Koffee Kosmo
I have been roasting this way for years
My grandmother taught me to roast coffee in the original way when I was just knee high to a grasshopper ThumbsUp

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Ringo

dja wrote:
frist beans I ever roasted was in a cast iron skillet, owner of Roasters Exchange here in OKC gave me a quarter pound of columbian and told me ot roast em in a skillet cowboy style, only thing he didn't say was to do it outside, well that year in January was a tab bit cold to be outside roasting coffee in the dark in a skillet. So I did it inside all the way to second crack. I think everyone can figure out the rest

My first roast was on in a hand crank popcorn popper on the stove, I can "figure out the rest". The boss was mad for a while, that smell sticks in a house like fish. The next day I said "I did not smell it" but I did. So after that I was standing in the snow in Ohio roasting on the side burner of the grill.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

dja
Belive me its and experiance you will never forget when a 1/4 pound of beans hits a rolling second crack in an open skillet on top of the stove.
Edited by dja on 01/03/2011 9:18 AM

GiddyGoat
opus - I would love to try it. What are the basic do's and don'ts?
Kevin

?I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.?

opus
Kevin,

Briefly, preheat the skillet to a low heat, put beans in, raise it to medium. You dont want to heat the beans too fast. They will get dark on the outside and not roasted on the inside. Get to about first crack then turn it up a bit. You never stop stirring. Once you get close to 2nd crack the smoke is gunna come. Turn the heat down a little because it will continue to go up. Dont really go by color or a thermometer. You have to sort of wing it. Should take 15-20 mins. Dont be any shorter than that. The beans will end up darker than you want, yet the inside will be just right. If you go by outside color, you wont get it right. Try a small amount at first, A cup full or so.

Multitasking here but to surmise, slow and steady, no rapid heat changes.

When you think you are ready to pull them you can either spritz them with water to stop the cooking, or pull them a little early. A colander is nice to use, they stop cooking pretty fast.

Make sense??

RockinJava9
Never stop stirring... I use a 12" skillet, and a flat steel spatula... Lifting under the mass from the side to the center, then pouring to the left so the hot ones go on top...

My big problem was scorching the outsides and not cooking the insides - you will know when you grind your first batch - if they are too "cinnamon" colored... Likewise, if the beans are the same color as the dark piano keys, then you didn't turn them over enough....

Once you get the method down, you'll find that "campout coffee" takes on a whole new and wonderful meaning...
-Brett
Brett Mason
balancing faith and family
over a cup of homeroast glory!

GiddyGoat
I will try this tomorrow. Just got some Tanzania AAA which will be the first to sacrifice themselves for the greater coffee good.

Thank you opus!!
Kevin

?I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.?

opus
10 degrees out today and I roasted. Sure different than when its 90.

ryanjelena
I have been roasting in cast iron for a few months but no matter how even and perfect the roast looks it won't compare to what I am getting out of the popcorn roaster. Anyone else have this same experience?

Ryan

SirFreakingFrederick
Roasted for the first time ever today using this method. Turned out decent. I need to work on stirring better though, I ended up with a fairly uneven roast. It still ended up tasting pretty decent, served some to some friends and they approved.

Chad

opus
You will pretty much always end up with an uneven LOOKING roast. Thats what makes it good. Dont think you are going to get too specific with this, it wont happen.

Koffee Kosmo

SirFreakingFrederick wrote:
Roasted for the first time ever today using this method. Turned out decent. I need to work on stirring better though, I ended up with a fairly uneven roast. It still ended up tasting pretty decent, served some to some friends and they approved.

Chad

I like to use a whisk for stirring and at the end of first crack I like to have a hair dryer ready to blow away the chaff to give the roast a good run to second crack

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

ginny
Good Morning:

Having been away from home for almost a month I am desperate for decent coffee.

Today I will try the old iron skillet! I have had charbucks, dunkin donuts, cafe swill just to name a few and NONE are as good as mine or my fellow roasters, period.

I do have my Aero Press with me but no roaster, no greens nadda!!

Will have my brother send me some of my greens or just order some from Tom.

I really enjoy my morning cafe cremas and this junk they sell as coffee is horrid. Someone told me there is a roaster in Cave Creek so I may run out there and grab a pound of their fresh stuff and maybe buy some greens off them as well.

Will let you know. I will need to roast in the skillet outside on the gas BBQ since their is no real exhaust system in this kitchen to pull the smoke.

I miss my puppy dog!

gGrin

allenb
Sorry to hear about the lack of real coffee where you're at!

If you find the local roaster can you take some pics of the place? Or better yet, some pics of their roaster setup?

I know I'm asking you to do what a lot of pesky reporters do to the unsuspecting public so feel free to disregard. Hey, they might want a plug at HR's.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

ginny
Allen:

I'll take pictures, no problem. Maybe even get an interview with them for a future podcast.

take care,

ginnyGrin
Edited by ginny on 01/09/2011 5:05 PM

Bird
So who needs a $500.00 coffee roaster? Where's my skillet? LOL! Roflmao
BirdThumbsUp

dja

Bird wrote:
So who needs a $500.00 coffee roaster? Where's my skillet? LOL! Roflmao

don't laugh my first roast was in a skillet, first mistake was I roasted them in the kitchen on the cookstove, good thing I'm single and like coffee.

there are a lot of roasters that use the skillet method

Dan
You'll be pleased to learn that I put the skillet method at the top of the Home Roasting Coffee page on WikiPedia. http://en.wikiped...ing_coffee

opus
Gee....I've made a lot of money pan roasting coffee.

Dan
On a related note, I just refurbished a Griswold #9 cast iron skillet. It took a lot of work with a propane torch and rotary wire brushes, but it was worth it. Sadly, I won't be using it for roasting, but saut?ing.

atalanta
I have an electric burner that I got for beer making (so I can set it up where the stuff is rather than take up space in my tiny kitchen). Do they get hot enough to do this? I've already done the "roast in the house" when I first started with my Fresh Roast so will need to be outside. I have an outside outlet (I roast outside anyway), but I don't have a gas grill/burner outside (I'm a charcoal "snob" LOL). Don't it figure, when I'm between "real" roasters is when I'm jonesing for coffee!!!

atalanta
Thanks for the pix! I'll have to give it a try once it stops raining.

Jump to Forum: