Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,167
Newest Member: Soubriquet

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 - Coding and tech issues
atsamattau
I'm going to start with an Uno and then I'll see about trying the others. I'm not sure if I'll try control or not, I need to do some more reading and see what software is available and what options there are. It would be nice to be able to call up profiles and control the temperatures from a PC. I can switch to another controller later if I need to, or even add a little PLC or an rs 232/485 PID controller if that's better. I just need to get started and then go from there.

Thanks everyone for all the information, homeroasters.org is a great resource,

JimG
Have a look at Brad's aArtisanQ_PID application here:
code.google.com/p...&can=2

It may do what you need.

Jim

atsamattau
Yes, thats great, i went with the tc4c since there is no major benefit to running any other control computer, or any savings going another route.

I started thinking about it and the least I need to do the better with all the other projects I got going on. I'm adding CNC to a 9X20 lathe and in the middle of another CNC router build, along with a roaster build, the espresso machine rebuilding and modding and just trying to keep up with life, its easy to bite off more than I can chew - since I'm always hungry for more!

Now I need to pick one (or more) of the roasting programs. There doesent seem to be any consensus on which to use - Roastlogger, Catui, Artisan, or Kona.

Any advice?
atsa lot a pizza pie, mozzerella too
peperroni, provalone
atsa matta u?

Astra Mega 2C Auto, Nuova Simonelli Beach, La Pavoni Europiccola, Brassilia Club, Gaggia Classic, Enrico of Italy Lever, Cunhill Full Metal & Bosch Burr Mills, etc,....

Got crema?

greencardigan
I'd stick with Artisan or Roastlogger. Both of these now have fairly similar feature sets I believe. Just try them both out. I prefer Artisan and for that reason developed my PID code to be compatible with Artisan.

But for my last few roasts I've been using my phone instead of my laptop. Not having to lug the laptop out has been very enjoyable. Although the app currently controls the roaster and doesn't do any data logging.

JackH

greencardigan wrote:

But for my last few roasts I've been using my phone instead of my laptop. Not having to lug the laptop out has been very enjoyable. Although the app currently controls the roaster and doesn't do any data logging.

Hi Brad, What is the name of the roaster phone app you are running?

I found that Artisan very sluggish unless you have a powerful laptop. RoastLogger runs very well on my old Dell and I was able to get it running on a Raspberry Pi just for fun.

--Jack

greencardigan
It's an app I have been developing myself so it doesn't have a name as such yet.

I can currently send serial commands over bluetooth to control all my roaster functions.

Zoundguy
I'm getting the compile error that was discovered here:
http://code.googl...&can=1
I've attempted to edit the thermocouple.cpp/h files with the patch, but I've apparently implemented it incorrectly, and it continues to not compile. Any help would be great. thanks
Mark.
Edited by JackH on 07/20/2014 5:38 AM

JimG
The April 20, 2012 version of the thermocouple library fixes this problem:

https://tc4-shiel...couple.cpp

https://tc4-shiel...mocouple.h

Jim

Zoundguy
thanks, I couldn't find that on the tc4 site, it doesn't seem to appear in the downloads section. I have TC4-StdLib-REL-300.zip anything else I might be missing?
thanks for the link!

JimG
Unfortunately, Google no longer supports the download feature on their googlecode sites. Old downloads can remain, but no new ones can be created.

You can browse the source code for latest versions of everything.

Jim

Zoundguy
Thanks Jim, New problem. Im attempting to make this shield work with an Arduino YUN, among other issues, the SDA/SCL pins on the typical UNO have been moved from A4/A5 to Pins D2/D3
that wouldn't be a problem in my breadboard setup, except that pin D3 is being used by the shield for something else already, I've been searching, but have not been able to find what the TC4 uses D3 for. any direction on what I would need to change?
thanks,
Mark

p.s. using this website http://shieldlist.org/homeroasters/tc4 for the basis of my belief that the TC4 is using D3 already. (d9/d10 are OT1/OT2 I believe)

Zoundguy
lost my edit ability, (and all my post fixes)
D3 is the ZCD, I think i'll have to move it to D5 to "get out of the way" of the moved SDA/SCL pins.
Friends: Dont let friends experiment with new boards!

JimG
The D3 pin (PD3 on the ATmega chip, connected to INT1) is direct wired to IO3 on the TC4 shields and TC4C boards. Depending on the application sketch, it is used as an input pin from the ZCD board, or as an output pin for PWM control of DC fans (Hottop roasters, for instance).

You will have to check me on this, but I believe you can reassign IO2 (connects to INT0) as the input pin for picking up ZCD signals. Edit 2 lines in the user.h file and you should be good to go. I think I tested that configuration ...

Jim

PS here is a link to the "official" schematic for your version 5.31 TC4 shield:
https://tc4-shiel...31-sch.pdf

Zoundguy
oh! I did see that in the code, but I was afraid that the ZCD would also require the PWM abilities of IO3. (I've been searching for the past hour or so trying to figure that out)

If not, then its only slightly different in that the YUN has 2 additional interrupts available on D0/D1 (INT 2/3) (I cant use INT0 simply because that pin is also part of the SDA/SCL)
thanks for all the help, I think im getting close.
Mark

JimG

Zoundguy wrote:

oh! I did see that in the code, but I was afraid that the ZCD would also require the PWM abilities of IO3. (I've been searching for the past hour or so trying to figure that out)

Which sketch/application are you planning to use?

Typically the phase control and ICC output for controlling AC devices comes from OT1 and OT2. So as long as you don't have a conflict on those pins (D9/PB1 and D10/PB2) things should work out OK.

Jim

GUILHERME T
I changed a lot the sketch to add pot controll to TC4. It did work well. Now, I can change the fan and the heater values on the fly, even when connect to the roastlooger.
I'm using a cheaper version of the IC2 LCD to.

Living in Brazil make those adaptions imperative. The Custons here are terrible.
Recently, I bought to tc4 boards with Jim. I payed more than the double of the price just to bring it here. It's very sad.

JimG

GUILHERME T wrote:

I changed a lot the sketch to add pot controll to TC4. It did work well. Now, I can change the fan and the heater values on the fly, even when connect to the roastlooger.
I'm using a cheaper version of the IC2 LCD to.

This information may be too late to help you, but the aCataui sketch (and a few others) also contain code to support potentiometer control of the fan and heater. Hopefully you did not have to write your's from scratch!

I would be interested in a source for an inexpensive I2C LCD that is compatible with the TC4 project code. I'm sure others would as well.

Alternatively, if you wrote new code that supports your I2C LCD, perhaps you would be willing to share that on the project googlecode site?

Sorry about the customs Shock

Jim

sdfghjkl
HI guys, I'm pretty new here, but very eager to set my tc4 v4.00 up,
I've got arduino uno + tc4 v4.00 + laptop with win 7pro and thermocouples type K
The UNO seems to be working but when I launch Artisan 0.7.4
I get an error:
ser.arduinotc4temperature():list index out of range @line 20998

Any help on how to set it up properly or any alternatives would be very much appreciated.

Rapolas

MaKoMo
@Rapolas: did you install the FTDI serial2usb driver for your platform? Did you select the correct serial port?

timbarnes
I think there's a pin conflict in the latest version of aArtisanQ_PID - it appears that the parallel LCD and the phase angle control both use D2. This causes display corruption (I don't know what it does to ZCD reads, as I don't have one).

If hand-wiring, it's easy enough to modify the code to move the parallel display connection to D5, but with the default configuration there's an issue.

The configurations that don't use ZCD on D2 / IO2 work fine. I posted an issue on Github (don't know if I did it correctly, as I am very much an amateur). The link is here: https://github.co...eld/issues

There's also more information in this thread: https://homeroast...ad_id=6676.

Thanks,
tim

renatoa
Probably this is the purpose of CONFIG_PAC3, where zero cross detector (ZCD) is connected to I/O3... check user.h

greencardigan
Thanks Tim.

What is the normal way to connect a parallel LCD to the TC4/Arduino? If it has to be wiring the individual pins then I don't see any issue changing from pin 2 to 5 for LCD RS.

In the other thread you suggested that surgery would be required. Could you explain what you meant by that? Aren't all the Arduino pins available on the pass through headers on the TC4 boards?

I was able to fix cause #2 by changing the line "#define RS 2" to "#define RS 5" in aArtisanQ_PID.ino, and re-routing the RS wire. If the display is connected to the Arduino via the TC4, this will require surgery

timbarnes

greencardigan wrote:

[quote]In the other thread you suggested that surgery would be required. Could you explain what you meant by that? Aren't all the Arduino pins available on the pass through headers on the TC4 boards?

I probably spoke in error. I was thinking that the parallel connections to the TC4 came to a specific header on the board, but it seems they do not, and everyone is direct-wiring if they are using a parallel LCD display. If this is the case, then as you say, no hardware surgery is required, and it would be enough to make the change to use pin 5 for RS in the code.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm a couple of days into using aArduinoQ_PID, and my TC4+ has not yet arrived, so I've been simulating the system by measuring voltages on pins directly off the Arduino.

greencardigan
No probs. I don't think the TC4+ has a port specifically for a parallel LCD either.

When I get around to it I'll add this change. There's a few other small changes I need to make too.

timbarnes
Sounds good. I have a feature request / suggestion:
I have built a roaster that uses a separate motor for agitation of the beans (it's a flour sifter, but I think bread machine and KKTO roasters also have a stirring mechanism separate from air and heat). It would be great to provide support for this.
Regarding the second option, I have made it work in a kludgy way by doing the following:
  1. Set up a #define AGITATOR in user.h
  2. Created a variable to store the current agitator speed (I am planning to use an L298 speed controller)
  3. Added some code to AWRITE inside #ifdef blocks that knows what pin I'm using for the agitator (this is not a great solution!), so it can update the display
  4. Added display code to put the agitator speed on the LCD.

Do you think this is a sufficiently common use case to warrant a more robust solution?

Thanks for all your work on this, It's been really easy to ramp up so far.

Jump to Forum: