Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
holiday swaap
dja
first off I haven't seen anything about one, second it this needs to be moved please put it somewhere that is approiate.

ARE or IS there going to be a holiday swap? cause if there is I would like to get in on it.

David
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

John Despres
Looks you just started it, David.

Go ahead & put one together. Collect names of participants, pair 'em together & post the pairings.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

dja
My one problem with doing it is that if I may have to leave town on a job and not be able to carry it thru.

otherwise who wants in, gonna need an even number unless someone wants do the honors of a double, and I don't know squat about scoring coffee.

I do belive last year we had two 1 pound samples one was a direct swap and the other was guess the bean am I right.

with mailing to be on or before 10 December.

So Who wants to have some fun

We got all these new fancy roasters that have been built in the last year, lets have swap and see what they can do, or if some are just blowing coffee smoke in our eyes.

I know mines up to the challenge, won't be like it was last year when it went belly up and I had to break out the old Stiz Crazy to finish my entry.
Edited by dja on 11/02/2011 6:01 PM

jkoll42
Sounds like fun. I should have the roaster tamed by that point!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

seedlings
I'm in!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Unta
Ill swap.
Sean Harrington
educate.

dja
Ok, so far we have

Myself
Chad
Sean
Jkol42

So who else is going to jump in here.
we get enough people in on this I will draw names on the nineteenth of November, then everyone will have to have their beans roasted an in the mail by the 5th that way hopefully they will all get to who they are going to before Christmas. IF thats agreeable with everyone.

And if anyone needs or wants some of the mylar bags that can be sealed up with just a cloths iron for shipping I can let me know with an address and I will dig into my stash and mail two or three out to who wants em. I used em last year they worked great.

And unless it will cause problems I think that half a pound instead of a pound will be plenty for a contest, make it easier to ship in a smaller box. I have some of the small Flat Rate boxes and will see what I can put in one and post back.

the only other thing is that one roast should be the one you think you do the best, the second should be mystery bean and let them guess at what and where it came from.

Anyone got questions, this is a first for me. it was fun last year, anyway for me it was even though my roaster konked out in the middle of one of the roast.

And I know that with the roasters that I have seem come out in the last year there should be some really good beans floating around.
Who knows maybe Dan will join in with his Flame Roasted Coffee. Now theres and idea that I may dig into for the hunk of 24 inch pipe I have laying in my back yard.

Ok people the games afoot as Sherlock Holmes used to say.

seedlings
How about just one coffee and you can determine with your matchup mate if you want to play 'guess the origin'? I wasn't thinking about a contest... Either way it's OK, but more should participate if it's just a friendly exchange.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 11/03/2011 10:42 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

dja
works for me, a one bean swap, and at least half but no more than a pound keep it reasonable that sound ok

John Despres
You've nailed it, David! Thanks for stepping up.

I've done it in the past and it's lots of fun to organize. This year I am SWAMPED with surgery coming up fairly soon, so my time is limited. Not even sure if I have time to play this year... Ugh

Have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

jkoll42
sounds like a plan!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

JETROASTER
I'm in. It'll be MH-1 roasted. -Scott

jkoll42
We should toss a picture of the roasting apparatus in with the beans so the other person can see what they were roasted in - kinda like a homeroasters holiday card smile
-Jon

dja
I see Scott has chosen to join us with his MH-1.

well John I'll keep a spot open for you in case you get to wanting to play in that basement laboratory of yours that you call a roasting room.

So were at
Myself
ginny
Chad
Sean
Jkol42
Scott
and a maybe for John.

As far as pictures of the roasters I'll say go ahead of you want to throw in a picture, probably be a little better if we could maybe just post a link to some really good pictures so that everyone could see them, but I'll leave that up to the people doing the roasting.
Edited by ginny on 11/04/2011 9:17 AM

andrewbird
So we are sending roasted coffee, or unroasted coffee? Or both? I'm confused but it sounds fun!

dja
the object of the swap is for you to roast the coffee, then send it to whoever your paired with so they can see how good your roasting skills are, to see if you have become master of your machine.

you in?

andrewbird
Hmm...it would be interesting if there was 1/2 pound of your finest roast, and then 1/2 a pound of the exact same coffee green. Because how many times have you drank someone else's coffee and thought, "i'd probably like it better if it were roasted darker/lighter.. So then I could drink your coffee, and then try it myself and see how mine compared. But.....I won't rock the boat. It sounds fun no matter what.
:trink25:

ginny
Andrew:

You can send your partner WHATEVER YOU WANT. You are not limited to one pound of any particular origin. The idea is to send a pound total so all get equal in terms of amount, how you divide that up is up to you.Grin

ginny

ginny
Hey David, I am in of course.

thanks for getting this started for us this year! appreciate your kindness.

love ya,

ginny:P

allenb
To: Holiday Bean Swap Executive Coordinator

Please include one more participant in the much anticipated HRO Holiday Bean Swap!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Gregman
This sounds like fun, please pencil me in.
Well now........ that's not suppose to happen!

dja

ginny wrote:
Andrew:

You can send your partner WHATEVER YOU WANT. You are not limited to one pound of any particular origin. The idea is to send a pound total so all get equal in terms of amount, how you divide that up is up to you.Grin

ginny

As Ginny said you can send what ever you want, if you decide to also include a green sample so the person you are paired with can also have a try at roasing it it up to you.

The main object is to have fun and enjoy some other roaster's wares. I know I get kinda tired of drinking my own.

Myself
ginny
Chad
Sean
Jkol42
Scott
and a maybe for John.
Andrew sounds like he's in
Allenb

Ok I think thats everyone as of this evening.

Will check in the morning to make sure I haven't missed anyone.

allenb
Ok, with the current level of holiday swap participation we are at 1/2 of 1 % of membership . I'll bet there are more HRO'rs who would have a blast doing the swap and you'd have a great chance to see how others are doing with their roasters.

Come on, don't be shy and please, don't be worried that someone may not be thrilled with your coffee. If they don't appreciate it it's only a half lb so who cares.

This is your chance to taste other folks upper tier stash roasted to perfection.

Happy Holidays
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

jkoll42
Totally agree - this is the first time for me to do a bean swap. Come on folks! Like Allen said, if you are new to this you will get some great feedback to improve your roast (or some praise at how great your roast is smile )and at the same time taste some great coffee that someone else roasted. How often do you get to have someone who really loves coffee taste your roast.

My family loves my roasts! They also like hazelnut flavored folgers. Time for some awsome fun and feedback - Get On Board!!!!!!!

-Jon

farmroast
I'm in.

Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

Jump to Forum: