Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
holiday swaap
ginny
Scott:

Got my beans late yesterday; will have a taste this am.

g:BowDown:

seedlings
Beans shipped out yesterday Bill! And there are some "hints" in the package)

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

wsikes

seedlings wrote:
Beans shipped out yesterday Bill! And there are some "hints" in the package)

CHAD

The only hint I'll be giving you is that you will notice a lot of gas after consuming these beans. Cornbread goes well with this roast... lol.
William Sikes

JETROASTER

ginny wrote:
Scott:

I cannot believe you have not gotten your coffee yet. My brother mailed it last Tuesday, priority.

Please let me know.

g

Was there anything......suspicious about this package?;) -Scott

JackH

freshbeans wrote:

ginny wrote:
Scott:

I cannot believe you have not gotten your coffee yet. My brother mailed it last Tuesday, priority.

Please let me know.

g

Was there anything......suspicious about this package?;) -Scott

Seems unusual for priority mail to take so long. I always use it. If it was sent with delivery confirmation, it can be tracked.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ginny
My dear brother mailed them and I told him priority. God he could have sent them Pony Express and kept the rest of the moola.

I though about dropping in a bud for you Scott but the USPS gets pissed off
and clls the cops!!

g
Shock

JackH

ginny wrote:
My dear brother mailed them and I told him priority. God he could have sent them Pony Express and kept the rest of the moola.

I though about dropping in a bud for you Scott but the USPS gets pissed off
and clls the cops!!

g
Shock

Only if it opens and leaks out the bottom.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

JETROASTER
Smells great Ginny....goodies have arrived!! Love the magnets. I'll begin drinking asap! -Scott

allenb
Had a wonderful brewing experience this morning. Into the grinder first thing was Jkol's Kenya Nyeri Kagumo-ini roasted to just far enough along to tame the usual Kenya acidity to a perfect balance of burgundy wine/chocolate and dark cherry overtones plus some nice spice notes. This has got to be one of the finest Kenya's I've cupped in many years.

If Jon's not roasting for sale to the public yet then there are folks in Philly missing out on some amazing coffee!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

jkoll42
Thanks for the very kind words Allen - you are the first expert to comment on my roasting!

I enjoyed some Mysore nuggets yesterday - first time trying this variety of bean. Good and clean with just a hint of rustic wildness. Had a very noticable coconut meat scent when the cup was hot! Never had that before and made me think of the beach. PNG today - balanced fruit, not overly bright. A nice balanced everyday drinker.

This is fun!

Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

wsikes
I just got a nice large box packed full of goodies from Chad. I will begin roasting this afternoon and see if I have any idea what kind of beans these are... very excited... thanks for the goodies, Chad. Grin
William Sikes

seedlings

wsikes wrote:
I just got a nice large box packed full of goodies from Chad. I will begin roasting this afternoon and see if I have any idea what kind of beans these are... very excited... thanks for the goodies, Chad. Grin

'Quantity over quality' I always say... ThumbsUp

CHAD

dja
Ed (farmroast) i've enjoyed both of the coffees that you sent to me in the swap, they were wonderful, both had rich deep flavors that lasted in the cup even when the brew had cooled down considerably, As i mentioned in a PM to you I'm not on the level of cupping that a lot of the roasters here are. Heck my brother is better at it then I am.

But I can tell a good cup when I run into one and both of yours were excellent.
The Rawanda I will have to locate some, I think i prefer it over the other but both were excellent.

David.
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

John Despres
I miss this! I'm glad all are having fun and I enjoy living vicariously through all of you.

I'm sitting in a chair mostly letting my gut heal. Ugh.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

allenb
Hope you feel better soon and especially for the Christmas holidays coming up!

Just because you're making us all feel bad that you weren't able to get in the Swaap I'm going to suggest we do another in a couple of months if everyone else is up for it.

Let's see, for a post holiday swaap name, Hmmmm...
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

jkoll42
That would put it right around the time of a Valentines swap. We are all in love with coffee.... right?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

dja
works for me by that time I will be full swing into sitting on my haunches a living off my severance check.

AllenB you got anymore takers.
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

John Despres
Valentine's Day is my birthday, so a JD Birthday swap would be killer!

AhemGrin
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

wsikes
What about a bean swap on April 1? The possibilities are endless!
William Sikes

John Despres
Hmmm, April 1?

Just don't use Thompson's Sulawesi Goo-Goo Muck...

:up-late::yuck::(

Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
Got Bill's coffee (wsikes) package today! I was excited so I'm sipping now on a drip brewed cup.

Beans varied in size, very light and uneven roast, perhaps lighter than City (which, I've read, is an excellent roast level for cupping to show off a coffee), with much chaff still clung to the beans. Ground coffee is very light as well, and I smell floral, barley and gingerbread. When water hit the grounds the aromas muted considerably, but caught a distinct "pancakes with butter" aroma. In the cup, molasses, dark wildflower honey, orange zest flavors with good acidity, delicate/light body, creamy mouthfeel, and a finish of dark molasses. As the cup cools, the orange zest comes more to the front.

I think you did a very nice job on this roast Bill, and a very bold move to nail this very light roast! And after all this I am supposed to guess the origin, and I'm stumped. Looking at beans the variety of size and uneven roast screams African. The prominent dark molasses has me thinking a Central. Orange zest goes back to Africa, and wildflower honey back to Central. But with the variety of bean size it's hard to vote Central. I didn't get any distinct spices which leads me away from Kenya to perhaps Rwanda or Tanzania or Burundi. So, I'll split those guesses alphabetically and pick Rwanda.

If you tell me it's Honduras or Nicaragua I won't be surprised.

I have more to drink as I only brewed one cup. I'll give it a couple of days rest and see what it says. Thanks for a fun exchange Bill! OH- almost forgot... I have some greens to ROAST too!

Merry Christmas!
CHAD

wsikes
Chad, roast the greens to FC and you will be able to guess the bean. I will wait to tell you after you have had more time to taste them. I really enjoyed your beans and I will be roasting the greens. I almost guessed the Harar, but I did guess the African part. The India Mysore was a new experience for me and the flavor is absolutely intriguing. I love the body of all of the coffees and the earthiness and smoothness of the Mysore really took me by surprise. I am absolutely loving these coffees. :Clap:
William Sikes

seedlings
I had some other coffees, but these two were the most interesting to me. I was kind of excited that you hadn't picked them up in earlier bulk buys. I was very impressed with the India myself... although I rushed your roast early on and ended up with a lighter body... when you roast that one, take it easy on the beans until they start to yellow, then be sure to get into second crack at the end! BTW, the 'earthiness' you taste in the Mysore is my air temperature too hot at the end of the roast= probably some scorching. It usually doesn't taste earthy.

CHAD

wsikes
Chad... in your PM to me you said you were pretty sure the bean is an African. You are correct. It is Harar Longberry from Tom and Maria and if I had roasted it a little darker I am sure you would have guessed it. It is not quite as spicy as the Harrar A-1 that you sent, maybe they came from different regions of Ethiopia.
About the "earthiness" I described concerning the India Mysore... I may have used the wrong word, but I did really enjoy the bean. I probably would never have had the courage to buy it, so I am very thankful for your sending it to me. I have a lot to learn about coffee.
William Sikes

ginny
Scott:

I am amazed by the beans you sent to me. They taste like African bean to me but...

The degree of roast is perfect for my cafe cremas though I am still trying to sweet talk the tastes out of the cup.

I am one of the "get some of the notes" people who live here.

I am really enjoying what you sent. Also the packaging is super. How do you do the embossing?

Please tell us.

love ya,

ginnyGrin

Jump to Forum: