Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
holiday swaap
seedlings
Got Bill's coffee (wsikes) package today! I was excited so I'm sipping now on a drip brewed cup.

Beans varied in size, very light and uneven roast, perhaps lighter than City (which, I've read, is an excellent roast level for cupping to show off a coffee), with much chaff still clung to the beans. Ground coffee is very light as well, and I smell floral, barley and gingerbread. When water hit the grounds the aromas muted considerably, but caught a distinct "pancakes with butter" aroma. In the cup, molasses, dark wildflower honey, orange zest flavors with good acidity, delicate/light body, creamy mouthfeel, and a finish of dark molasses. As the cup cools, the orange zest comes more to the front.

I think you did a very nice job on this roast Bill, and a very bold move to nail this very light roast! And after all this I am supposed to guess the origin, and I'm stumped. Looking at beans the variety of size and uneven roast screams African. The prominent dark molasses has me thinking a Central. Orange zest goes back to Africa, and wildflower honey back to Central. But with the variety of bean size it's hard to vote Central. I didn't get any distinct spices which leads me away from Kenya to perhaps Rwanda or Tanzania or Burundi. So, I'll split those guesses alphabetically and pick Rwanda.

If you tell me it's Honduras or Nicaragua I won't be surprised.

I have more to drink as I only brewed one cup. I'll give it a couple of days rest and see what it says. Thanks for a fun exchange Bill! OH- almost forgot... I have some greens to ROAST too!

Merry Christmas!
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

wsikes
Chad, roast the greens to FC and you will be able to guess the bean. I will wait to tell you after you have had more time to taste them. I really enjoyed your beans and I will be roasting the greens. I almost guessed the Harar, but I did guess the African part. The India Mysore was a new experience for me and the flavor is absolutely intriguing. I love the body of all of the coffees and the earthiness and smoothness of the Mysore really took me by surprise. I am absolutely loving these coffees. :Clap:
William Sikes

seedlings
I had some other coffees, but these two were the most interesting to me. I was kind of excited that you hadn't picked them up in earlier bulk buys. I was very impressed with the India myself... although I rushed your roast early on and ended up with a lighter body... when you roast that one, take it easy on the beans until they start to yellow, then be sure to get into second crack at the end! BTW, the 'earthiness' you taste in the Mysore is my air temperature too hot at the end of the roast= probably some scorching. It usually doesn't taste earthy.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

wsikes
Chad... in your PM to me you said you were pretty sure the bean is an African. You are correct. It is Harar Longberry from Tom and Maria and if I had roasted it a little darker I am sure you would have guessed it. It is not quite as spicy as the Harrar A-1 that you sent, maybe they came from different regions of Ethiopia.
About the "earthiness" I described concerning the India Mysore... I may have used the wrong word, but I did really enjoy the bean. I probably would never have had the courage to buy it, so I am very thankful for your sending it to me. I have a lot to learn about coffee.
William Sikes

ginny
Scott:

I am amazed by the beans you sent to me. They taste like African bean to me but...

The degree of roast is perfect for my cafe cremas though I am still trying to sweet talk the tastes out of the cup.

I am one of the "get some of the notes" people who live here.

I am really enjoying what you sent. Also the packaging is super. How do you do the embossing?

Please tell us.

love ya,

ginnyGrin

JETROASTER
Hi G,
I'm a little slow responding these days. My apologies. The 'renovation from hell' is nearly done. Life will return to something like normal soon.
Yes! Ethiopian. Glad you like it. I've got your wonderful beans in the super-auto as we speak. Talls and shorts...both wonderful!

The embossing; let me get some pics cropped and I'll post the process.
It's cheap, fast and easy.

I'll try to get something posted by tonight! Thanks again for the fantastic coffee. Happy Holidays! -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
embossed.jpg

JETROASTER
Creating the embossing plates;
I have them engraved locally with images I whooped up in photoshop. Well defined images work best. The image gets rendered in black and white. Black/positive is the 'up' part of the plate. White/negative is the 'down' part (it gets carved away). The image on the plate is reversed.
The deeper the engraving...the crisper the result.
plates.jpg

JETROASTER
The heat is provided by an upside-down iron,(set to 'cotton') mounted in a crude wooden stand.
iron.jpg

JETROASTER
Embossing plates are placed on the hot iron...surrounded by some cardboard to insulate. The embossing plate is the only hot surface left exposed.
iron_insulate.jpg

Edited by JETROASTER on 12/23/2011 9:04 AM

JETROASTER
When a coffee pouch is filled and sealed, the pillowing effect comforms to the surface of the plate when lightly pressed. Takes about a half second.

I've got the sealer directly above the embosser. Seal the pouch...press down onto the embosser...toss it in the box.

So now, filling and embossing takes about 8 seconds per pouch. No labels, and a one time expense.

Enjoying my "G-Force" coffee in the super-auto Thanks Ginny and Gregman!! Happy Holidays. -Scott
doser.jpg

ginny
Thanks Scott:

What super auto are you using?

gGrin

JETROASTER
Miele CVA4070 Cheers!

mk1
Toni,
Your roast was great. Everyone here likes a real espresso level roast and we were all pleased. I've been trying to guess what the origin, (or origins) were in your roast. I'm not quite experienced enough to determine origin by taste, maybe in a few years. I will say the folks here preferred yours over some of my experimental batches.
The roast I sent you was a blend of Brazil (roasted to Vienna or so) and then some Sumatran and Guatemalan roasted a bit lighter. I hope it was drinkable!

Mark

Jump to Forum: