Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Honey Badger 1k
jkoll42
The new roaster should be complete this weekend so I thought I would get a thread started with the design parameters and vision behind the roaster. After thoroughly confusing myself in the last thread about what to call this thing, I have settled on the Honey Badger 1k. More on that to follow.

I wanted a roaster that was very easy to control, had a 1kilo +/- capacity and operated similar to my HG/BM as I have really had great roasts from it after dialing in the profile. I also wanted it to be easily moved and operate at any location. The final parameter was that the build should be able to be done without any specialized fabrication tools or techniques. No welding, commercial equipment, etc. Just tools that a typical handyperson might have.

The design is based around a steel frame, gear motor, 8qt stainless pot, and propane torch. Convection is provided by an axial fan inline with the torch. The torch assembly mates to the steel frame to keep things tidy but easily pulls apart for transport or storage. There are power outlets on the frame to power the fan and TC4 allowing only one plug to power the unit. Heat is through a sievert 2941 burner which should give enough heat for any ambient temp but also give extremely good low pressure performance. I plan on using my vac to suck the beans out of the chamber at the end of roast, but the unit is small and light enough to allow flipping and dumping the whole thing if I am not around a vac.

One of the cool features of this roaster is that it can be used without the need to hook up to mains for electric. The power draw for the entire setup is under 2A which allows it to be run off my car jump start battery pack that has an invertor. This allows for a roast to be performed literally anywhere with the roaster, portable propane tank and jump pack.

Back to the name. Most people have seen the Honey Badger video on youtube or somewhere else. One of the lines is something to the effect of 'honey badger don't care, it just does what it wants." That was at the heart of this design - hot temps, cold temps, at home, at a camp ground, in the middle of a field. Whatever, wherever I should be able to roast at any profile. I though it would be more fun that a bunch of acronyms smile

Pics and (good) flames to come this weekend (hopefully).

Jon
Edited by jkoll42 on 02/24/2012 10:07 AM
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

jkoll42
First roast done today and for a first attempt on a new roaster things went really good. I had some strange temp readings for 1C (425F) so I think I need to check on TC placement but other than that all went well. One unexpected interesting thing is that the direct flame apparently incinerates the chaff - you could see mini chaff flame balls and there was none left at the end of roast. I had about a dozen charcoal beans so I have to work on the stirrer to eliminate what I assume is a dead zone in the center. All the rest of the beans were very evenly roasted. No tipping or scorching. The 2941 burner is was overkill on the BTU's but thankfully it still has a strong flame even with the Goss regulator pinned at nearly off.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

jkoll42
farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/6786356522_84c451ae7d_b.jpg

-Jon

jkoll42
farm8.staticflickr.com/7188/6932474331_a5080dacc9_b.jpg

-Jon

jkoll42
farm8.staticflickr.com/7060/6932474773_3b5ce6b76b_b.jpg

-Jon

jkoll42
farm8.staticflickr.com/7209/6932475221_44e71646b9_b.jpg

-Jon

jkoll42
farm8.staticflickr.com/7044/6932475699_6b3b581dc9_b.jpg

A little info about the torch setup. The actual head of the torch is even with the end of the copper tube. At the other end is a hacked together adapter and axial fan. The fan is used for both convection and to keep a fresh supply of air over the torch for a clean burn. It's adjustable for height, angle and direction.
-Jon

jkoll42
farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6932476161_e9d03665e9_b.jpg

The drive shaft runs through a high temp brass bearing and the stirrer is attached to a triple height collar with tapped holes.
-Jon

Dan
Great work! Very nice machine. I have to throttle down my burner, too. I wonder if tilting the machine would prevent beans from gathering in the center?

JackH
Jon, you did a great job on the roaster. What speed is the stirrer motor running at?

jkoll42
It's running at 200RPM. I'm sure 150 would be good enough also. The end of the arm is really moving!

I may insulate the outside of the pot, but only if the roasts seem uneven
-Jon

allenb
I second the "great job" on this roaster! Beautiful workmanship.

A lot of stirring/agitation systems I've seen in the past utilized a spiral shape closest to the hub and then changed progressively more straight as it reached further out. This shape caused the product to continually migrate outward and not allow loitering.

If you're ever concerned that the chaff burning is causing a taint you could create an opening in the lid a couple of inches away from the burner pipe but close to the perimeter and attach a 2" 90 fitting with a screen can attached to it to hopefully catch the majority of the chaff before it has a chance to ignite.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JackH
At that speed do you find the bean mass suspended above the bottom of the pot as Ed (Dreamroast) describes? the speed of the Dreamroast is the same I believe.

jkoll42
Allen - hopefully I don't find any taint. I have 1 day of previous beans left and Tuesday will give the first roast a try. It's the Rwanda so I've got a good expectation of what to ideally expect.

With the current configuration, the bulk of the bean mass runs from about 50% out from the center of the base to about 50% up the wall of the vessel. It thins to about the center of the vessel and when the beans are still green, a few make their way out the little gap in the cover. They have a strong and fast circular movement with agitation within. I imagine that it is a different bean movement than the dreamroast - less lofting and more slinging (?)

I will get a video up but might be a couple of days.

Also of note - the roast was done in 35F weather with a strong breeze so ambient temp seems to not be a problem.

Jon
Edited by jkoll42 on 02/26/2012 6:59 PM
-Jon

mk1
Very K.I.S.S. I really like it. Great work!

Roast Strong,
Mark

BenGeldreich
Absolutely gorgeous machine!! Great job on build and design. Bravo Sir!!
--------

Ben

Turbo Oven Roaster w/ Variac, TC4Cw/ Bourbon | Bezzera Strega | Baratza Vario Grinder | Yama 5 Cup Syphon | Aeropress

lmclaren
Very nice,

Any problems with heat conduction back up to the fan assy?

jkoll42
Everything seemed fine with heat moving back to the fan. As a safeguard, where the copper meets the PVC assembly they never actually touch. The copper connector is held into the PVC with high temp silicone and has about 1/8" of just silicone. The thought was that this would act as a further thermal barrier. If the fan starts to droop off I will know there is a problem smile

There is also a silicone trivet under the vessel to isolate/insulate it from the main frame. It also acted as quite a nice sound dampener as well!
-Jon

seedlings
A+ :Clap:

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
Nicely crafted. Bravo! -Scott

jkoll42
Quick update. Strange 1C temperature of first roast must have been a fluke. Did 2 back to back roasts at my friends and 1C hit at 404F and 2C (espresso) hit around 442F which was basically where the HGBM hit so temps are solid now. Also, slightly tilted machine about 1/2" and solved the few burnt beans. Thanks for that tip.

Overall impressions -

This is an extremely easy machine to roast with. Temp control is easier than with the heat gun which I believe is mainly due to instant temp changes of the flame. There is absolutely no tipping or scorching and bean color is extremely even. I do think I will get the smaller sievert burner. The 2941 was running at about 3psi (operating psi is 30). We were roasting in a detached unheated garage with ambient air at 35F and even without insulation around the vessel things went perfect. I though I might have to insulate it but there is no need.

I have been drinking the first roast of Rwanda which due to the temp readings probably didnt have the profile I wanted. Still very good. I took it to C/C+ and it is well rounded and has a really nice juicy fruit finish. A very 'wet' coffee which is nice. There was question if the incinerated chaff might taint the cup but I can't pick out any off flavors and I think they would be apparent at such a light roast. It makes for a nice light show in the vessel - blue flame and swirling embers. I also believe there is enough agitation to at least roast 3# - maybe more but I don't feel like wasting a batch of beans to find out!

Jon
Edited by jkoll42 on 03/01/2012 7:46 AM
-Jon

oldgearhead
Very nice job!
smile
No oil on my beans...

jkoll42
I know I always love roaster videos.... so here are some roaster videos! Just a few short ones. Burner on, empty. Burner on 2# load of Yirgacheffe, pyrotechnic display as the chaff burns off, and audible 1C. Enjoy!

Also found out that I really need to order that smaller burner - 60F ambient tonite and the burner was nearly going out - at about 2PSI just to control the roast.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJs8bVazLI[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxtPfC13rWk[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNanY4gA1b4[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1JdwyEmYCA[/video]
-Jon

allenb
That's some real fire power!

Will the smaller burner fit without modifications?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

jkoll42
Allen - yes it will. I had a feeling that I would have too much heat from that burner so I designed it to be easy to change. 30 seconds tops smile

-Jon

Jump to Forum: