Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

allenb
04/09/2024 5:34 PM
TheJak99 Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,205
Newest Member: TheOtherJim

View Thread

Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
newbie question: Arduino UNO + TC4 Roastlogger
matteo411
Hi,

I modified my Poppery 2 with the transformer + dimmer (fan control) and router speed controller (heat control). I recently bought the Arduino UNO and the TC4 units so I can do roast profiling and maybe add control later on with the SSRs.

I can load the flashing LED application on the Arduino UNO no problem. When I load the Roastlogger TC4 2.0a or 0.7 sketch, however, I get a bunch of errors so the S/W doesn't load. I'll edit this post later with the specific errors I got.

--Matt

ginny
Hi Matt:

Thanks for saying hi...

have you spoken with the maker of your:

recently bought Arduino UNO and the TC4 units?

it would be helpful if we knew where you got these units.

ginny

rockon

JimG

matteo411 wrote:

When I load the Roastlogger TC4 2.0a or 0.7 sketch, however, I get a bunch of errors so the S/W doesn't load. I'll edit this post later with the specific errors I got.

That information will help us help you Grin

Jim

matteo411
OK I got it to compile/load. I didn't have the additional required libraries copied over to the sketchbook libraries folder.

Can't wait for my thermocouples to arrive!

Matt

JimG

matteo411 wrote:

OK I got it to compile/load. I didn't have the additional required libraries copied over to the sketchbook libraries folder.

Can't wait for my thermocouples to arrive!

Happy to hear that. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jim

matteo411
Hi Jim,

Happy Holidays!

I got the thermocouples and the rest of the parts that I needed. I assembled the TC4 with fan and heater control via the SSRs as shown in your diagram:

http://www.mlgp-llc.com/arduino/public/tc4-wiring-small-20111120.jpg

The thermocouples are working and the heater seems to be controllable via RoastLogger but the fan is unresponsive.

The mods I had used previously for the Poppery 2 heater and fan separate control where from here:
http://popperyii.blogspot.com/2011/01/completing-hiros-journey-poppery-ii-mod.html. Everything worked fine with that setup.

Any ideas on what I might have wrong or things I should check with this new setup?

Thanks,
Matt

JimG
Hi, Matt -

The setup shown in the figure is based on having either aArtisanQ or aCatauiQ running on your Arduino. Those applications, along with greencardigan's recent contributions, are the only that I am aware of that offer phase angle control output consistent with the diagram.

The key things in that configuration are that the fan control signal is output on OT2, and that the zero cross detect input is expected on I/O3.

The applications above are consistent with that configuration.

RoastLoggerTC4, however, uses I/O3 for fan control output, and does not have the capability to use a zero cross detector.

Can you upload a sketch showing how you have things presently connected?

Jim

matteo411
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick response! I uploaded the REL-aArtisanQ_PID_3_2 sketch to the Arduino+TC4 and downloaded Artisan 0.5.6 software doesn't look like it can talk to the Arduino yet.

Roastlogger has no trouble finding the Arduino properly on "/dev/cu.usbmodemfd131"

However Artisan doesn't find that comm port, it only discovers "/dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync" during a scan. Entering the proper comm port name doesn't help either. I get this message in Artisan: "Exception: ser.ARDUINOTC4temperature(): list index out of range"

Matt

greencardigan
You should be able to type the com port address into the artisan field where you select the com port.

matteo411
I tried that. I pasted the working comm port address from the Arduino IDE into it: "/dev/cu.usbmodemfd131"

JimG
Baud rate is set for 19,200, right?

Jim

matteo411
Yes, 19200 at the Artisan default.

JimG
Hi, Matt -

If RoastLogger can find the device and communicate properly, but Artisan cannot, then this is kinda bad. Suggests that the problem is not with the TC4 but probably on the other end of the USB cable.

RoastLogger uses the Java JRE serial functions, while Artisan uses Python. All I can assume is that there is an issue with Python that is getting in the way of the port being recognized.

Perhaps there are other FTDI drivers you could try?

If Artisan just refuses to see the port, though, I'm at a loss as to how to advise you to proceed.

It might be worth installing the Processing lanugage, and running a little utility called pCOMlist. It is on the TC4 project code site in the downloads section. When run, this utility will spit out what it sees as the active serial ports on your machine. Since it also uses JRE, however, I would expect to see the same result as RoastLogger.

Jim

matteo411
OK so I tried the setup on a windows XP machine instead of my macbook and Artisan can now communicate to Arduino+TC4 and read the ET and BT thermocouples correctly. I'll check what's going on with the macbook drivers. I never specifically installed any FTDI drivers on it yet

JimG
Download drivers for FT232RL chip here:
http://www.ftdich...rs/VCP.htm

Jim

JimG

JimG wrote:

Download drivers for FT232RL chip here:
http://www.ftdich...rs/VCP.htm

Oops.

If you are using an Uno with a TC4 shield, then there is no FTDI chip in your system. So you should not need a driver. Tom (aka GreenBean), author of RoastLogger and one of the co-developers of the HTRI roast controller system, sent me a PM reminding me of this ThumbsUp

Also, I now understand from Tom that the port used on RoastLogger should be of the form "/dev/tty.*" in this case "/dev/tty.usbmodemfd131".

Hope this helps.

Jim

PS -- thanks, Tom.

matteo411
So thermocouple reading in Artisan is working, even though it has that Exception error I listed before. I think it was just taking a while to collect+calculate the temperatures.

On to the SSRs. I configured heater and fan Event buttons as I saw how to do in another thread. Clicking the event buttons for either one, however, resulted in nothing happening.

Switching back to the RoastLoggerTC4 sketch: I can control the heater. I tried switching the fan connection from OT2 to IO3 for RoastLogger but when I turned on the fan it tripped the circuit breaker!

JimG
Happy to try and help get it sorted out, but I would need a little more information about how you have the Artisan event buttons programmed and how the fan is wired up.

Jim

matteo411
I think the fan might be toast. Attaching a diagram of how I had the Poppery II's DC fan + rectifier circuit connected.

When I do a continuity test with a multimeter across the red and white wires of the fan that go into the rectifier circuit it makes the "shorted" noise.
matteo411 attached the following image:
fan_wiring.png

allenb
The continuity setting on multimeters will allow a beep with as high as 200 ohms on some meters. I'm not sure what the winding resistance is on these small dc motors but the beep won't tell you good or bad on the condition of the motor.

It looks like from your drawing you've got 120V going to a 20 volt dc motor. The main problem is the high voltage but I'm curious if the circuit needs to see a real ac motor to function and not the load of a dc motor via bridge rectifier?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JimG
I agree with Allen's assessment. Feeding 120VAC to a 20VDC motor is probably asking for trouble.

I'm also pretty sure the SSR will have problems with rectified AC, i.e DC. I suspect that the TRIAC in the SSR will not switch off at the end of each half AC cycle, so once latched the SSR will remain on.

The circuit you used is intended for controlling a 120VAC fan by chopping up the AC waves. Not meant to be used on low voltage DC motors/fans.

For a 20VDC fan, one approach would be:

1) Use a transformer to step the 120VAC down to around 15VAC
2) Rectify and smooth the 15VAC output from the transformer
3) Find a logic power MOSFET that can handle the voltage and the load
4) Drive the MOSFET using PWM output from I/O3

Jim

matteo411
So I picked up an Air Crazy today at Target for $16 and opening it up it is pretty similar.

Looking again at the original schematic of the Poppery II there wasn't just 120VAC connected straight to the rectifier. It used the secondary inner coil 60ohm in-line as shown here:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZByKAI28tEg/TSFMJg4a0SI/AAAAAAAAC4g/a25-kuFprio/s1600/PIIschematic.jpg

What if I use the 25.2V transformer + SSR instead of the 25.2V transformer+dimmer switch as I had before?

Or maybe I could locate a 120VAC stock fan somewhere.

Matt

JimG
I can't think of any reason that you couldn't swap the controlled random fire SSR in place of your previous dimmer. The SSR will see AC voltage, so it should work? It might be wise to check the SSR specs to be sure it will work at around 25VAC, but it seems to me like it should.

I think the SSR will work better if it is downstream of the transformer, i.e., between line and the fan.

Jim

matteo411
OK so the previous fan was definitely dead because I rewired it in my old setup and no dice. I took apart the Air Crazy popper, isolated the fan circuit, and put it in my old setup as well and the fan worked. I could vary the output with the dimmer+transformer as before. I put the new fan in the Arduino+TC4+D425-10 SSR setup with the SSR in-line after the transformer. I fired up Artisan and my buttons still don't do anything for Fan !00% and Fan OFF. So I think the issue at this point is probably misconfiguration of Arduino Event buttons?

For Fan-100 Button I have the following:
Label=Fan-100
Description=100% Fan
Type=Fan
Value=10
Documentation=OT2,100
Button#=4

matteo411
Scratch that last post. The fan is now alive. So in Roastlogger with the Fan's SSR hooked up to IO3 I can vary the fan's PWM, and I see and hear the fan toggling on and off like I'd expect as I move the slider.

Moving back to Artisan, I can now give the fan varying strengths with the Fan's SSR hooked up to OT2 and the ZCD on IO3. I can hit the fan OFF event button and the fan turns off. However after a few seconds the fan comes back on again. Is this Artisan doing this or a hardware issue? I'm not sure what expected behavior of Artisan is.

Matt

Jump to Forum: