Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Editing Your Own Posts
MassWineGuy
I know it's probably quite obvious, but how do you edit your own posts? I don't see anything labeled "edit" or similar function.

Barrie
I don't see a reply but I, too, would be intrigued to know the details of the Edit limit. As it stands it seems that a posting can be edited for a while then that option disappears. I don't know what the length of a "while" is in this instance. I see in the next thread that Ginny has explained that the opportunity has been abused. The other issue is that interested readers have no way of knowing if a posting has been edited or not, i.e. do they need to revisit to read the change? That of course can be fixed by putting an "edited on...." note on the message.

Ae you reading the mail, Ginny?

Adding this line to proved the "edited by... " point JD
Edited by John Despres on 05/13/2013 4:47 PM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ginny
Yes, I am reading this. I thought I had responded but perhaps it was to another edit post thread.

There is a 15 minute time limit on edit for posts. This was setup after we had several idiots decide they wanted to shame and be disgusting to members. we will not tolerate that behavior for one second, period.

The other issue is that interested readers have no way of knowing if a posting has been edited or not, i.e. do they need to revisit to read the change? That of course can be fixed by putting an "edited on...." note on the message.

if a post has been edited it is clearly noted in the post with name of editor, date and time of edit the second the edit is posted.

after 15 minutes the only individual who can edit a post is an administrator - typically the only reason an administrator will edit a member post is to fix a link or activate a link that was posted but not setup properly or to remove foul language...

if it is time to revisit this issue I am open to suggestions but I am not sure that leaving the edit option open 24/7 is something I am willing to do.

if you make a mistake and wish to change your post I think 15 minutes is long enough to make that decision. perhaps it need be longer. many times it is prudent to "preview" your post to recover mistakes before posting.

please give me your thoughts on this and in the meantime I will take this to the administrators for their feedback.

thanks for bringing this up...

ginny

cool

ginny

you can edit your own post within 10 minutes - if all feel they need a longer period of time to edit let me know and I will adjust it.

this issue with edit is it has ended up in some members abusing the edit ability and posting garbage and rants against others.

hence time limit edits for members.

this test is now over as it was the wrong test.

thanks to all who took the time to post here.

ginny

the above was the last conversation I see about edit unless it was in an individual post/thread and is buried.

I increased the time to 15 minutes and have not heard a word since.

as I said if anyone has issue let us know. I will in the meantime take it up with the administrators.

-g

John Despres
The edit feature is there for you to fix anything you may have missed when you previewed you post.

It's a last minute fix and perhaps can be bumped a few minutes, but will never be extended to a 24/7 timeline.

Here's why.

There is no general notification whatsoever that a post has been edited.

Let's suppose I post some thoughts regarding a certain method that seems quite valid and worthwhile at the time. Now let's suppose a few months later I make a discovery that either negates or even invalidates my post. With 24/7 editing, I can go back and rewrite the entire post and every post that followed might make no sense at all. Or I follow up with an update in the ensuing thread.

The best editing to be made is to add on to your own post in that thread and make updates and/or corrections as you see fit. There is no harm in changing your mind on a topic as you gain knowledge and experience. It's a growth process we will all benefit from.

I'm afraid the editing feature will remain much as it is. Perhaps if this is a big concern, more time should be taken reviewing one's work before posting it to the forums.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
Oh, to answer the original question, there is an edit button at the bottom right of your post for 15 minutes after you add to the thread.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

JackH
I can understand having this edit policy.

I was on another forum years ago (not coffee related) and one member got very angry and deleted all 1500+ posts and entered ".." for each (must have taken a long time).

Like John says, it can cause a lot of confusion and a loss of useful information.

John Despres
All right, I've been thinking...

I'm curious - Just how log would you like an editing feature to last?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Dan
I don't see a problem with having a perpetual edit option. Correcting bad information is always a good idea, and who better to find and correct than the poster? If someone posts wrong information, I don't want to have to read every post thereafter to see if he corrected it in a subsequent post because he was blocked from editing.

I was once an admin. Admins have the edit option always available. Back then, I found it very useful to go back and edit my posts for clarity, and I miss that freedom. I think of this as a hobbyist-based forum, and not being able to edit stifles some of the "open-source" quality that attracted us to this forum in the first place.

Having said that, I'd like a 72-hour window for edits. Often, it isn't until I've read some replies a few days later that I see my poor choice of words.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

ginny
There was too much abuse and I will not allow that to happen again. The only way to stop that disgusting activity is to not allow free, all the time edit of posts.

If anyone finds after several months or years they really need to edit a post for language or clarity please feel free let me know and I will open a window so you can do that edit yourself. I have told several members the same thing, they have done so and all is well.

There are many ways to allow someone to edit a post without leaving our system open to jerks who simply want to ruin life on the forum and leave a mess for the administrators to clean up. Members have been hurt by this type of activity.

This forum has NEVER had an open ended edit policy, ever. It was not until 2008 that the limit ability was available in the php software. Prior to that it was on or off, our edit was off. I set it open and we had nothing but trouble and one day the lid blew and since that we have limited the time frame.

I think of this as a hobbyist-based forum, and not being able to edit stifles some of the "open-source" quality that attracted us to this forum in the first place.

being hobby based has nothing to do with the ability to edit, nor does "open-source quality" - nothing prevents a member from creating a new post/thread with there newest and greatest ideas, that is what we are all about in the first place.

Please remember that no one is BLOCKED from being able to edit.

You can preview, you can edit for 30 minutes beginning now or you can redo the entire post by contacting me and having a window of time to edit yourself.

ginny

rockon

quest3
this is a test...

and it works.

Q3

party

ginny

I don't see a reply but I, too, would be intrigued to know the details of the Edit limit. As it stands it seems that a posting can be edited for a while then that option disappears. I don't know what the length of a "while" is in this instance. I see in the next thread that Ginny has explained that the opportunity has been abused.

details provided, questions?

Are you reading the mail, Ginny?

yes, you asked a question and I responded right away.

The other issue is that interested readers have no way of knowing if a posting has been edited or not, i.e. do they need to revisit to read the change? That of course can be fixed by putting an "edited on...." note on the message.

not true, as stated and demonstrated here each post that is edited spells out clearly:

who did it, the day and the time of the act. if you are looking at a post that has been edited, you know it.

ginny

cool

we are not trying to be mysterious, as I stated my lack of getting a proper FAQ together is part to blame though I believe that someone would have had a need to challenge out edit policy and that is fine as well. we make our policy in the best interest of our members and at times those oppose on another - my vote WILL ALWAYS be on the side of protecting members over something convenient that we have solutions in place for...
Edited by ginny on 05/14/2013 3:03 PM

ginny
The issue of edit of member posts has been decided and appears in the FAQ section of this forum.

http://forum.home...rg/faq.php

after the questions and no response the matter of a time frame will remain the same; a member will have 15 minutes to change her/his post and after that time frame simply PM me.

thanks for your input.

ginny

beach

enjoying my iced...

Jump to Forum: