Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 with aArtisanQ_PID
ChrisR
Is there a possibility to tune the PID in Artisan on the fly, meaning while roasting, or are the values set at the beginning of the roast?

MaKoMo
You can "tune on the fly" with the internal as well as the TC4 PID

ChrisR
Great. Thank you.

ChrisR
I plan follow in the footstep of another member and build the automation for my gas roaster. I will be using the proportional valve and I'm working on finding out if it would be difficult to add the following feature (unless it already exists). Since I will be using IO3 for fast PWM output, I was wondering if it is possible to have the output set to max (5V) if the roaster is not in Control mode. Basically, the logic would be

if Control Mode not enable
output 5V at IO3

This will allow the proportional valve to be fully open when I don't use automation and be controlled by the driver during automation mode, or when the Control is on.
Edited by ChrisR on 10/21/2017 1:01 AM

greencardigan
If the PID control is off, then you can manually set the heater output to whatever value you want.

You could use the sliders or a button in Artisan to send the io3,xxx command where xxx is the percentage output.

Are you using any electrical circuit between the io3 pin and the proportional valve? Or can the valve use the PWM signal directly?

ChrisR

greencardigan wrote:

If the PID control is off, then you can manually set the heater output to whatever value you want.

You could use the sliders or a button in Artisan to send the io3,xxx command where xxx is the percentage output.

Are you using any electrical circuit between the io3 pin and the proportional valve? Or can the valve use the PWM signal directly?

I will have a proportional valve controller which accepts PWM signals coming straight from the io3 and sends amplified PWM to the gas valve. The default setting for the gas valve is off, thus if it does not receive a signal it completely closes the gas line and cannot do manual roasts. The gas valve is placed between the gas source and roaster. The controller is needed to provide adequate current to the gas valve.

I believe either of the two scenarios work,
1. Using the slider to output max power, thus completely opening the gas valve.
2. or use the button in Artisan to send io3.xxx the command to fully open the valve. Which button would that be?

greencardigan
You have to set Artisan up to send the correct commands. Have a look at the video I posted recently. In the video I use the OT1 command as I have my heater on that output. So just replace OT1 with IO3.

https://forum.hom...;pid=63918

judoclimb
Hi I am just getting started on controlling my Poppery with aArtisanQ_PID. I was able to follow directions and wire all the hardware. I have a couple of questions.
1. How can i change the temp units to Celcius?
2. Is there a way to create a button in Artisan to increase Power or Speed by a certain unit?
3. Is there a way to keep displaying the current Power and Speed in the Artisan window?

Thanks in advance!

greencardigan
In Artisan there is an option in the menus to change the temperature units. This will cause Artisan to send the UNITS;C of UNITS;F command to the TC4 when you connect.

Alternatively, you can change the default units in the user.h file before loading onto the TC4/Arduino.

There?s a few option for setting up a button in Artisan to increase/decrease power. Have a look at this video. It shows one way (I haven?t tested this method).
https://youtu.be/...

The other option is using the UP and DOWN commands. For example, setting up a button with a serial command of OT1;UP will increase the OT1 output power by the increment defined using DUTY_STEP in the user.h file. The default is 1%.

There should be a commands.txt file in the sketch folder which documents all the available commands and their usage.

Not real sure what you?re asking in your last question. But the latest version of aArtisanQ_PID sends the heater and fan duty values to Artisan every read interval. Older versions only sent theses values if the PID was active. See link to version 6_3 on the previous page in this thread.

And see the video in the post immediately above yours for setting up Artisan to receive and display the heater and fan values.

Will2

MaKoMo wrote:

I uploaded a public beta of Artisan v1.2 ...

I tried, now it's okay.
Viliam

JackH

MaKoMo wrote:

I uploaded a public beta of Artisan v1.2 on its GitHub home.

Thanks for your help Marko!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Will2
I uploaded a video as it works practically and from start to finish fully automatic (80/70mm fluid bed roaster 1.7kW, 500W motor).
I changed the thermocouple and set the position in the roasting chamber so that the degree of roast corresponds exactly to a bigger (120/110mm) roaster in the same profile.
The small roaster can be used as a sample roaster.

Edited by NetriX on 12/06/2017 4:40 AM

Will2
I'm inattentive, currently I use other button settings:

up.picr.de/31152481xy.jpg
Viliam

renatoa

Will2 wrote:

I uploaded a video ...

How do you get that RoR guidance curve on screen, is it added in post processing, or an Artisan feature ?
Roasters: DIY: TO based IR 200-640g
Commercial, moded: Skywalker, Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popper(s).
Electronics: TC4ESP (author), MS6514, USB/Artisan/Apps (contributor), PID controllers
Grinders: Potu ghost burrs, Arco, Xeoleo ghost burrs, Krinder, vintage PeDe Dienes, MBK Feldgrind, Kinu M38
Brew/presso: ALM pour over, Arin lever, Staresso Mirage, Hario Cafeor dripper, Flair Signature, Kompresso, Aeropress, Gaggia Mini

Will2
=deltBT in Artisan extras
Viliam

renatoa
This is real time RoR plot, I have this checked, is not what I meant, but the curve already on screen before the roasting started.

Will2
You probably think of the DeltaBT in Profile Background.
Profile were created in Artisan Designer.
Viliam

James211
So I added fan control to my TC4 with my Quest, works great! Does anyone know how to get an LCD that would tell me my fan output? I was looking for something that would give me the duty like the heater (OT1), but I can't find anything...I need an OT2 readout.

greencardigan
The TC4 sketch supports a connected LCD (16x2 or 20x4) using the LCDapter board that Jim sells.

I think it may also support a standard parallel interface but I've never tried.

I want to try using one of the cheap i2C LCDs available on ebay instead of the LCDapter but haven't tried this yet either. It would required a few tweaks to the sketch.

Alternatively, you could connect the TC4 to a computer and monitor/log the outputs using Artisan.

Or add a bluetooth module and monitor outputs using my android app.

James211
@greencardigan, I guess I should have been more clear, I want to be able to log the fan output using artisan. When I said LCD, I was referring to the mini LCD's within artisan.

I just can't seem to figure out where the OT2 data feed is within artisan. Any ideas?

greencardigan
Have a look at my videos here.

https://forum.hom...post_63918

Will2

I wrote:

I'm inattentive, currently I use other button settings

Similar roasting, only the fan slider moves, is here:

Viliam

Will2
If there is someone who has tried TC4 shield + Arduino Mega, write here.
I'm interested in any result. Also, that something did not work.
Thanks.
Viliam

BenKeith
Brad, those ebay I2C won't work, wrong chipset, I've probably got about a half dozen I could send you, some still wrapped. some off the backs of displays I had too take off. Now, if you want to wright new code, You can probably make it work. It takes a lot more than changing the address.

Now, what I will do, I will send you a Digole TFT if you will send me a copy of the sketch you have to use to get it working. I've got q 2.2 I2C one I ordered wrong for a battery tab spot welder and I cant even figure out how to change the address in. I've never learned enough Arduino to program. 2.2 is pretty small, a lot smaller than a UNO board. so I'm sure you would want something larger than that. If interested, send me a PM.
The reason I suggested the Digole, they are well supported with documentation and user forum for someone that understands this stuff a lot better than me.
Edited by BenKeith on 01/17/2018 5:45 PM

greencardigan
Yes, I understand I would have to use a different LCD library to get the ebay I2C LCD working. With the LCDapters being hard to obtain, an easy to source alternative would be good I think.

Getting the TFT to work would also required a different library but would probably be more complicated. I'd also be worried about the memory available. The aArtisanQ_PID sketch already has very low memory free.

Jump to Forum: