Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
First Crack Start
Stew
This will sound like a newbie question, which I guess it is, and I apologize if it has been answered before but I couldn't find it. When I'm logging the info on a roast I'm never sure what I should call the start of first crack. What I notice is that I get one or two cracks and then a pause of often 20 or 30 sec. before it really starts to crack. Is the very first audible crack the start of first crack or when it becomes more constant?

Stew

ginny
Stew:

for me 1st crack has never been an issue regardless of the roaster i use.

for some it is difficult because they are not used to the subtle noise.

#1 what roaster are you using? it's hard for anyone to help you if we have limited information.

1st crack in what??

remember you will most likely ALWAYS hear a few snaps before 1st crack.

that said you will most likely get more snaps and a rolling first crack and when it ends so does your roast unless you really want to burn it up unless you wait a few seconds for second...

remember it all continues to roast regardless until it is cool.

1st crack starts with the first snaps - rolling after that depending on heat and roaster.

ginny

beach

Koffee Kosmo
Some beans in a roast will crack earlier than the bunch
However the main crack should be called rolling first crack when the main mass is going off

Same can also apply to second crack

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Stew
Thanks folks! I wondered after I posted whether I should have given info about my roaster but I assumed it would be similar no matter what type of roaster. I'm not having trouble hearing the crack I was just not sure what to call the start as the time and temp could be quite different. Ignoring the first pop or two and going with a more constant roll seems logical.
I'm using a soon to be modified Popcorn Pumper by the way. This forum and it's contributors have been a real help to me. Thank you all!

Stew

HoldTheOnions
I have poplite and I couldn't make out the cracks until I upgraded to quieter blower, it was simply too loud.

boar_d_laze
best post

You need to log the onset or "start" of first crack (usually abbrevieated as 1stCs), "rolling 1st" is a different, less important milestone.

Because there are often a few "wild cracks" before 1stCs and after 1stCe, you have to exercise some judgment about when to say when.

I count six cracks before pegging 1stCs; it's artificial but it works for me and I get numbers which closely agree with people who use similar equipment on the same beans.

Consistency is beaucoup important, because -- as a general rule, if you're trying to profile by controlling the Development interval -- you have to anticipate 1stCs by at least 10F and start making adjustments to power and airflow. So know that your 1stCs temp can vary with the speed you go through the Ramp interval.

Rich
Edited by ginny on 05/08/2015 7:54 AM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

Ringo
For 1st crack I log it when I get three consecutive pop. Like Boar D Laze said find a system and be consistent, cup the coffee to evaluate the roast and you will be good.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

HoldTheOnions
Sometimes I will hear little pops first, but almost always will be one loud pop at the same exact temp. Easy to pick out on same beans after a couple roasts.

Bdc
I have not so good of hearing, and been roasting for about 5 years using sight/Smell and time... Popcorn poppers for 2-3 years and now Gene Cafe for a couple years. I'm usually happy with my roasts but summer weather made me over roast a couple batches this year, so I'm gonna attempt to hear cracks via an audio baby monitor I have on order. Hope it works........

JackH

Bdc wrote:

I have not so good of hearing, and been roasting for about 5 years using sight/Smell and time... Popcorn poppers for 2-3 years and now Gene Cafe for a couple years. I'm usually happy with my roasts but summer weather made me over roast a couple batches this year, so I'm gonna attempt to hear cracks via an audio baby monitor I have on order. Hope it works........

Welcome to Homeroasters!

You might want to take a look at this post started by another member with a GC: https://forum.hom...post_36700
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

DrHenley

Bdc wrote:

I have not so good of hearing,

Same here, I roast outside but I have to turn off the central AC because I can't hear the first crack over the AC compressor and destroyed a few batches from missing 1C on some beans that didn't have a very vigorous crack. I kept waiting for 1C until they were charcoal. I hadn't thought about amplifying the sound. Maybe an inexpensive megaphone?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AeroPress, Capresso On The Go single cup drip, Moka Pot
DIY Gas Fired perforated drum using TermoPro meat probe as bean probe (very accurate), Aillio Bullet R1 V2
A morning without coffee is like a marriage without a honeymoon.

JackH
The link I posted. User has hearing loss and uses a GeneCafe.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Jump to Forum: