Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Thermocouple on SR500 issues
DiggerinVA
Well I bought a thermocouple off ebay and I still have not settled on the placement. It came with two wire probes, I also bought a stainless steel probe. I have not used the stainless as that will require drilling (that will be done). So I just tucked the wire in between the camber and the chaff collector it looks to be in the exhaust nicely.

The issue I am having is the meter goes to ---- on the display at about 325.1 degrees F. The manual state this would happen with no signal or it is out of range. It is plugged into left connector, the seller says to use it in the right for over 500 degree temperatures. I am puzzled. Any idea's.

turtle
Can you post a link to some info on the probe you purchased?

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

DiggerinVA
http://www.ebay.c...EBIDX%3AIT

Here is the link.
I would also consider other units.

JackH
From your link, it looks like the open bead type probe. For starters, make sure the probe tip is not touching anything metallic.

You also have two probes with the meter. Are they both doing the same thing? Could also be a bad connection to the probe connector (where it plugs into the meter). Also try the other input to the meter.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

DiggerinVA
I have tried both probes(one at a time) and switched jacks during a roast. I guess I will try both at once.

DiggerinVA
The tip is out in open air.

JackH
You might also try the restore factory settings function they mention. Unless you have already tried it. May be a bad meter.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

turtle

DiggerinVA wrote:

http://www.ebay.c...EBIDX%3AIT

Here is the link.
I would also consider other units.

The meter appears to be a dual channel datalogger (that is what the T1 - T2 designation means). It "should" be able to give you a delta T reading (difference in temp between the 2 probes).

I use an Amprobe TMD-56 which is basically the same type of meter.

Your meter "should" work with any k-type probe. It is the probes that will have the temperature reading limitation not the meter.

The probes may not be appropriate for your application.

Can you post some pics of how you have the probes positioned?

That way we can make suggestions based on your need and use.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

DiggerinVA
Thank You It appears to be working properly now. The reset seems to have done it.

JackH
Glad it is working. I worked hardware/software technical support for more than 20 years. Often it is the simple things to try that do the trick.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

DiggerinVA
The funny thing is that I did that from 1998 to 2002. I was pretty good since I always started at the basic's. I knew I was overthinking and the manual is very poorly laid out (should be a troubleshooting section, with common problems). Finding the info on how to reset took a few minutes. I Thank You and turtle.

DiggerinVA
Ok thank You for your help. Now I am ready to drill so I can get the Bean Temp with the stainless steel thermocouple. Does anybody have any ideas for this?

Jump to Forum: