Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
SR300 vs SR340 vs SR500
Dann-Oh
So I'm looking to upgrade from my popcorn popper roaster to a nicer roaster. I know there is the SR700 that could be compared but I'm not interested in data logging, if I was I would mod out my popcorn popper. I also am not interested in spending the time, nor the money for a frankenstine unit, to build up the automation portion of the popcorn popper. I have listed the main comparison points of the 3 units in question, I think i'm leaning towards the SR340, I'm not too sure if the L/M/H switch for the heat control is worth the extra money, but then again its only a $30 cost increase which is marginal at this price point. Is the variable heater control something that many of you guys use?

SR-300 SR-340 SR-500
Price $130 $150 $180
Load Size 3.5-4.5oz 3.5-4.5oz 3.5-4.5oz
Heater Control On/Off On/Off L/M/H
Variable Fan Control No Yes Yes
Timer Yes Yes Yes

Dann-Oh
Couldnt find the edit button but I just got an alert that a local roasting shop has the SR340 for $140 vs amazon's $150. the 340 is looking sweater and sweater.

snwcmpr
I use heat and fan control to control the rate of the roast.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Dann-Oh
I finally pulled the trigger on the SR500.

Does anyone have some suggested profiles(for the sr500) for roasting a light-med roast of some Bali Paradise beans?

MPSAN
You will not be sorry. I have used my SR500 and do not want to upgrade to anything. Look for my post on how I roast the best!! It is in this section post #50.

https://forum.hom...post_58024
Edited by MPSAN on 07/01/2017 9:55 PM
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

oldwasichu

Dann-Oh wrote:

Does anyone have some suggested profiles(for the sr500) for roasting a light-med roast of some Bali Paradise beans?

Haven't roasted those beans specifically, but here's what I'd try as a starting point.

Use 3 scoops of beans (about 90g). Set temp to LOW and fan speed to HIGH. Run for 2 minutes. Set temp to MEDIUM, leave fan speed on HIGH and roast for 5 minutes. Enter cool cycle at that point. That should put you near your desired target. Then empty your roasted beans into a colander to cool to room temp.

Enjoy!

Jump to Forum: