Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hazard Warning Roastlogger on Fluidbed
Will2
Warning for fluid bed roaster users:
These users should exercise caution when first running Roastlogger.
By mistake I installed Roastlogger into the main roaster, so I thought it was a must try.
I almost made a mistake that I did not make any control in advance.
After the Start button is pressed, the heater's power goes to 100% at 0% Fan.

Therefore, it is necessary to do this in advance:
Manually disconnect the heater,
change Action at start and reset:
heater instead of 100% down to 0%,
fan instead of 0% up to xx%

In lines 43-54 user.h for AC fan change values (#define MIN_FAN_FOR_HEAT_ON 0).

This warning may help someone protect the heater from destruction.
Viliam

allenb
I would never consider allowing automated control of my fluidbed roaster without basic limiting failsafe devices to protect components from high temperature runaway.

One method of protecting against loss of air flow is to use this device to sense minimum static pressure needed at the discharge point of the blower. Use it to disable electric element relay in the event of loss of blower.

http://www.dwyer-.../SeriesMDS

Pick one with pressure setpoint a few "H20 less than maximum expected pressure but high enough to ensure enough flow to keep things from melting down.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
Imo, any roast software should have a function to limit or warn about ET bigger than... 300C/600F degrees... since the design phase, as a main requirement/feature.

Will2
You are right.
I'm a cautious man, yet sometimes distracted.
The solution from allen is simple because it does not need power, that I do not have there.
The problem with Roastlogger is that it is initially set up.
Menu "change Action at start and reset "can be accessed after the start, then the heater goes to 100%.
Viliam

allenb

renatoa wrote:

Imo, any roast software should have a function to limit or warn about ET bigger than... 300C/600F degrees... since the design phase, as a main requirement/feature.

Yes, that would be an improvement but one needs to go further than limiting ET. If heat is activated prior to start of blower in a fluidbed, an ET sensor will not sense heat from the element until it's already at meltdown temp since there is no air flowing except for natural convection upward. You need to prove that you've got the blower moving air prior to activating the heater and it needs to be instantaneous action.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb

allenb wrote:

One method of protecting against loss of air flow is to use this device to sense minimum static pressure needed at the discharge point of the blower. Use it to disable electric element relay in the event of loss of blower.

http://www.dwyer-.../SeriesMDS

Be aware that this particular pressure switch can only be used in your control circuitry as it is limited to a maximum of 30 volts and 40 milliamps.

Allen

Will2
Ah,
my thought was different, perhaps naive.
Viliam

BenKeith
I guess I'm not following what you did or how you did it. I've been using roast logger for umpteen years and never had it not shut the heater off if the fan was below 15% (which is where I have mine because even at 15%, my heater can get way too hot). Now, the other day I had the fan quit because of the TC4, which RoastLogger knew nothing about, and the heater didn't cut off but I was able to unplug it before it went into meltdown.

Will2

this particular pressure switch can only be used in your control circuitry as it is limited to a maximum of 30 volts and 40 milliamps. ...

Maybe I can use the cannon connector for the connection tc4 with the SSR relays.
Ben, how did you plug pins 1-9 in the D-sub 9 Connector?
Viliam

BenKeith
I have my TC4's mounted inside plastic boxes with a chassis mount DB-9 female connecter wired to the TC4. I have the relay control unit mounted on an aluminum plate with the relays mounted on it and wire into a duplex receptacle mounted in a box on it. Note: I split the cross connects on the duplex so each plug is independent. It also has the ZCD. I run a cable with a male DB-9 from that to my TC4. That way, if something goes wrong like it did the other day, it only takes a second to snatch a plug out and I can unplug the heater while doing any setup changes. It also makes it convenient if one section is having a problem, I just unplug it and plug in another.

Also, all the wires are soldered into the backs of the DB-9 connectors
Edited by BenKeith on 01/19/2018 7:43 AM

Will2
Probably 6-7 wires are used.
Is the ZCD mounted near by SSR or TC4?
Viliam

Jump to Forum: