Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rancilio silvia with PID kit
Ozo
I have been without an espresso machine for some time due to the failure (long story) of my awesome Quickmill Alexia with PID (basic type). I recently purchased a brand new Rancilio silvia from Ebay for $658 total ( open box). I was short on funds so purchased an Auber PID with steam control and preinfusion later instead of getting it pre- installed. It has not arrived yet.

I found the best price for the PID kit was from Auber Instruments, the manufacturer. There are several options, basic, with steam control, and with both steam control and preinfusion. I got the later for $207.32 (includes shipping) with red numbers. White or blue numbers are more money. I found that once the best temp is set, I never need to look at that again so red is fine. The lowest shipping was UPS Priority. It comes with installation instructions than include color photos. A video is on Youtube as well.

The screen etc is mounted externally with double sided tape so no cutting is required and no screw holes are required. This enables its easy removal if you wish to ship it for repairs or perhaps sell the machine without it.

Below are some photos of my Rancilio silvia on a $23.50 cart from Amazon.com https://www.amazo...F85E6ZVQJD It is very stable. This is a travel trailer so counter space is very limited. I have a couple of other appliances on the cart as well.

i.imgur.com/t57NWzp.jpg

i.imgur.com/2tQaInG.jpg
Edited by Ozo on 09/19/2018 1:07 PM
Tim

"Espresso is a miracle of chemistry in a cup."
Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
ThumbsUp Nice setup! The appliance cart is a great idea for your space. We have the Sylvia but no PID and a Rocky doserless grinder and we've been very happy with both.
So many beans; so little time....

Ozo

ChicagoJohn wrote:

ThumbsUp Nice setup! The appliance cart is a great idea for your space. We have the Sylvia but no PID and a Rocky doserless grinder and we've been very happy with both.

My first Espresso machine setup was a Rocky grinder and a Quickmill Alexia single boiler. It was the most basic and least expensive Quickmill except for the PID. It had an early PID which was temp regulation only. Later ones do far more.

The Alexia quit working right when I was moving to this location and instead of shipping it for repairs, I gave it away. Stupid move. Since I had no espresso machine and Rocky was past due for burrs so I sold it on Craigslist. When I acquired the Silvia I needed a grinder and bought a discontinued as new Breville for just $114. See my thread on that here:
https://forum.hom...ad_id=5638
Edited by Ozo on 08/15/2018 5:26 AM
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
Here is a photo of my cart now with grinder. I have received the PID kit but it will be some time before it is installed. I got the stainless steel trash can from a local thrift shop a couple of days ago for just $7.

i.imgur.com/rCm291j.jpg

i.imgur.com/LGP9y7H.jpg
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
Question, does the earlier Rancilio silvia stow the return hose in the lid as in this photo?

i.imgur.com/0az9wWB.jpg
Tim

Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
Wow! We've had ours a couple of years and all this time I never knew the return hose tucked into the lid like this. Just tried it and -- surprise! Thanks for the tip on that. Never had a problem as I keep the water level at or below the maximum mark, but attaching it to the lid is way better.

We have a couple of double walled glass cups my wife uses, and like your stainless one, they do a good job of retaining temperature and providing a cool surface to hold the cup. Stainless is a good choice for durability and it's thermal conductivity is very low for a metal as well. We have to hand wash the glass ones because they have a plastic plug that isn't dishwasher friendly, but not a big deal.

Ozo
Nice thing about that lid is it will hang off the back if you adjust the hose just right. That hose storage is not in the instruction manual and I have never seen it in print.

Unfortunately the double walled cups are not microwaveable. I too had the glass ones and they are real nice as you can see the beautiful coffee color. One developed a leak and had liquid/condensation between the walls, one broke, and I seem to have lost the third one. The metal one was real pricey but they are quite reasonably priced now especially when you see what Amazon wants for the very common type. I buy cups at the thrift store, brown with white inside but those are pretty rare.
https://www.amazo...coffee+cup
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ozo
Oops, you should not hang the lid off the back because sometimes water comes out of it. Especially do not hang it there and use the machine because it will most assuredly come out.

Better to adjust the hose so the lid is vertical then position it with your hand so it stays that way.

i.imgur.com/KipIG0b.jpg
Edited by Ozo on 08/18/2018 10:17 AM
Tim

Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
Excellent!

Ozo
I finally installed the Auber Instruments PID kit. I did it from the Seattle Gear Video. That made it easy but was a little confusing when it came to actually pulling connectors and attaching the wires to the silvia' wiring harness but I got it and it is operating as expected.

It was not totally as expected because the pre-infusion utilizes the steam switch in tandem with the pump/brew switch. So when installed the Pump/brew switch does nothing until the steam switch is on. After reading the instructions I see that brew can be selected at the controller as well.

I did not attach the controller as advised but instead located it on the right side. This enable an easy view of the screen/programming buttons. I also did not use the double sided tape supplied but instead used magnets. I super glued them to the controller and also put a stop under the controller to keep it from sliding down. I is working out very nicely.

I just got the instruction package from Auber but have not looked at it yet. They commented that they did not want that "disseminated". or I would post a link.

Notice the magnets on the controller and the stop on the machine
i.imgur.com/OcbeP1u.jpg

Auber PID side mounted
i.imgur.com/nPAwjSs.jpg

Suggested mounting
i.imgur.com/PaSGDCE.jpg
Edited by Ozo on 08/27/2018 4:22 PM
Tim

Andrea Illy

snwcmpr
A note about Superglue.
2 things break down superglue. Light and moisture. So watch that it does not fall off.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Ozo

snwcmpr wrote:

A note about Superglue.
2 things break down superglue. Light and moisture. So watch that it does not fall off.

I will keep that in mind. I do have better glue but I was in a hurry to see it in action so the magnets are super glued but the stop I added to keep it from sliding is glued with something more reliable because I was able to tape it while drying and still keep it in place. Two of those powerful little magnets would hold but should I see evan one come loose I will get the good glue out.;)

The double sided tape is also in my opinion unreliable and the residue is a PITA to remove if you change your mind about the location.
Edited by Ozo on 08/28/2018 5:59 AM
Tim

Andrea Illy

Ult1mat3X

Ozo wrote:

I have been without an espresso machine for some time due to the failure (long story) of my awesome Quickmill Alexia with PID (basic type). I recently purchased a brand new Rancilio silvia from Ebay for $658 total ( open box). I was short on funds so purchased an Auber PID with steam control and preinfusion later instead of getting it pre- installed. It has not arrived yet.

I found the best price for the PID kit was from Auber Instruments, the manufacturer. There are several options, basic, with steam control, and with both steam control and preinfusion. I got the later for $207.32 (includes shipping) with red numbers. White or blue numbers are more money. I found that once the best temp is set, I never need to look at that again so red is fine. The lowest shipping was UPS Priority. It comes with installation instructions than include color photos. A video is on Youtube as well.

The screen etc is mounted externally with double sided tape so no cutting is required and no screw holes are required. This enables its easy removal if you wish to ship it for repairs or perhaps sell the machine without it.

Below are some photos of my Rancilio silvia on a $23.50 cart from Amazon.com https://www.amazo...F85E6ZVQJD It is very stable. This is a travel trailer so counter space is very limited. I have a couple of other appliances on the cart as well.

i.imgur.com/t57NWzp.jpg

i.imgur.com/2tQaInG.jpg

You have a great set up, I appreciate it! smile

In addition, close-up of a 60ml double shot pour in 24 seconds from my PID'ed Rancilio Silvia

Jump to Forum: