04/23/2024 7:01 PM
Paul Kalb Welcome

renatoa
04/23/2024 4:34 AM
Coffee_Rabbit_Hole
and Michaelion, welcome cup

renatoa
04/21/2024 2:35 AM
compactjack and GreenGenie coffee drink ?

allenb
04/19/2024 8:27 AM
eximwind Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,227
Newest Member: AGZ

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Large Hand Cranked Table Grinder Static Fix
Ozo
Electric grinders are connected to an earth ground via the power cord. It only makes sense that the large hand cranked table grinders should be too. Electric grinders are connected to an earth ground for an entirely different reason but static dissipation I believe is non-existent for them due to the earth ground. I am getting a hand cranked grinder soon and will report my experience with this solutions effectiveness.

I already have the cord. I made it from a salvaged 3 prong plug/cable and an alligator clip. I may bolt the wire directly to the grinder later on if It actually is effective.
Edited by Ozo on 08/29/2018 12:30 PM
Tim

"Espresso is a miracle of chemistry in a cup."
Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
Static builds up in my Rocky when humidity is low, as in the winter. And I've seen this topic discussed here as a fairly common problem. A solution often suggested, which has worked for me when I've tried it, is to simply put a couple of drops of water in the hopper with your beans. Seems like that little extra humidity does the trick very often. I think it's the non-conductive plastic parts that are what's causing it. If yours is metal you may not have a problem at all.
So many beans; so little time....

Ozo
I know about eliminating static with water droplets. Spritzing is also used. I even saw in a video where a user was putting drops of water in his awesome HG-1 with an eyedropper. One person suggested using the steam wand Another person suggested a room humidifier.

The ROK grinder which I am getting in a few days is well known for creating static so to simplify things I thought I would ground the grinder and eliminate the need for putting water in the beans. I know adding water is a small thing but I decline to do that if I do not need to.

I posted this on another forum and those guys thought I was overreacting too.

Actually, I may not have a static problem at all due to my location. I live about a mile from the coast in Florida and this is the rainy season. It is never very dry at any time of the year here.

I was merely posting my idea in case other members might profit from it. However it seems that no one wishes to hear it.

The reviewers of the ROK grinder have made a really big deal of the static problem with many negative reviews claiming this was a major problem for them.

EDIT: I was just over at the other forum and now it seems that the consensus is that all grinders can have static problems in dry conditions and they are offering some elaborate measure that manufacturers can take to eliminate the problem. At least there are some positive suggestions there now.

EDIT: One review says it "has been tried and does not work" referring to the earth ground,
Edited by Ozo on 09/03/2018 10:11 AM
Tim

"Espresso is a miracle of chemistry in a cup."
Andrea Illy

Jump to Forum: