renatoa
03/16/2024 3:25 AM
rostar99, coffee drink ?

renatoa
03/15/2024 3:16 AM
welcome cup, Dennie_S

allenb
03/14/2024 5:38 PM
Thanks skpacman for finding us a new home!

renatoa
03/14/2024 11:50 AM
Jamesa1A and robertcheek welcome to forum

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,150
Newest Member: AndrewGeorge987

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Where to filter?
shortyjacobs
Where should most/all of the signal filtration be applied?

I?ve got a TC4+ and artisan hooked up to it. Both offer filtering options on both BT, ET, and ROR.

So if I plan on using Artisan for all control (manual or PID), should I just zero out all the filters on the arduino sketch, so Artisan can do its own filtering and be working from the ?Raw data?? Is there a problem with that? (Lag?). Better to use firmware PID and do all the filtering in the sketch? It seems silly to filter twice, kind of a copy of a copy situation. Help me out geniuses.
-Keith

mg512
If I recall correctly, even if you configure filtering in Artisan, it will still actually happen on the Arduino. The configuration in the sketch will set default filtering parameters. The configuration in Artisan will override these at runtime. But there's no filtering happening in Artisan, it merely passies on the configuration parameters to the Arduino.

You can check this yourself, either in the Artisan serial log or by enabling echoing received commands to the LCD on the Arduino; it should send a FILT command with the parameters you configured in Artisan. That overrides the defaults configured in the sktech.

In my personal experience, less filtering leads to better PID performance. That may be different for different setups though.

renatoa
Less filtering, should equate to jumpy input for PID.
So the error value will be also jumpy, same for output values, which is not good for a low inertia roaster. Beans don't like sudden temperature change.
Maybe you have a low P term set in your PID, lower than half of ultimate gain, and rely PID output action on I term mainly... which is a filtering in disguise, smoothing the input jumpiness.

Relating lag, the following values for RISE_FILTER will led to the corresponding lag for temperature at the input of RoR computation code:
- 50% => 1 seconds
- 67% => 2 seconds
- 75% => 3 seconds
- 80% => 4 seconds
- 83% => 5 seconds
- 85% => 6 seconds
If the same value will be used for ROR_FILTER, then the lag above will double.
The above are math determined, not guesses or practical measurements, and are independent of temperature reading resolution.
What is dependent on resolution is the need for the minimal filtering to apply, for a desired RoR precision.
As a reference, for a 0.1 C degrees temperature resolution measurement system, at least 50% filter values are needed for 10% precision reading, i.e. 1 digit for the middle of the road 10 C degrees / minute in a roasting process.
Other way said, if your temperature measurement system is single digit precision, and NO noise in the system ! you need at least 50% filtering to be sure when you read 10 C RoR, then this is rounded 10 value you can rely, i.e. between 9.5 and 10.49
Once again, the above are valid without any noise in the system, which is out of the roasting world, just for the record.
When a noise comparable with half of the system resolution is present, then the filtering needs are increasing, in the 75% ballpark.
For more noise increasing filtering will make the lag unacceptable, it should be fixed at the source.
Or compute RoR and simultaneously filter using better algorithms than a rolling average, as is Savitsky-Golay first derivative smoothing, providing better results with less lag, but needing more processor resources than an Arduino.

Jump to Forum: