Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Declining RoR on SR500?
kwrcst
Is it possible to get a declining RoR of a fluidbed roaster? Try as I might, in order to not just set it on high and wait until they are done in 3-4min, I can?t seem to have a declining RoR. It goes up, comes down and back up again when I adjust heat settings.

Is this just the nature of an SR500?

renatoa
Is simple... don't adjust Grin
At least, not so often, and not aimlessly.

The whole witchcraft behind declining RoR theory, is clear as any other other physics law... well, for those who love physics Grin
The typical coffee roasting graph allure, as well as the resulting RoR, are given by the law of thermodynamics who describe the heat absorbed by a body immersed in fluid.
Already wrote about this here:
https://forum.hom...post_65535

A good lecture also here:
https://forum.hom...post_62977

kwrcst wrote:

Is it possible to get a declining RoR of a fluidbed roaster? Try as I might, in order to not just set it on high and wait until they are done in 3-4min, I can?t seem to have a declining RoR. It goes up, comes down and back up again when I adjust heat settings.

Is this just the nature of an SR500?

I have the SR500 and drilled a hole into the chaff collector and inserted a probe. To my surprise I found that cooking on low heat setting will move you through first crack with no problem. I typically leave the fan setting on high and pour beans in after 5 seconds or so after it warms up. I also carefully hold and tilt so they get good movement during the first minute or two or three.

The low heat setting will take you into and out of first crack and I'll switch to medium into second crack about a minute after first crack has finished... the temps give a steady rise during this process.

Temps may drop a degree or two during first crack but if it drops too much (5-15 degrees) you get a 'stall' and there is no better way to wreck a batch than to stall during first crack.

I always move into second crack until I get a good rolling second-crack for 5-6 seconds and then cool on high fan.

So far I've been very happy with the results.

For grins, I find that the first 24 hours after setting up an electric grinder works fine but the third/fourth/fifth day I always use the hand-grinder. After that it seems to have cured enough to use the electric grinder for a day or two and by that time I roast up another batch.

I acquire my beans from Coffee Bean Corral and like the Nicaragua and Guatemala beans the best.
It's bad luck to be superstitious

Jump to Forum: