Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Where have all the pan roasters gone?
DrHenley
Sounds like a Peter Paul and Mary song, LOL

No activity here for years. Everyone intimidated by more "sophisticated" roasting methods or what?

Well, I'm a cast iron skillet roaster and I'm not ashamed. smile

For larger batches (8-16 oz) I actually use a dutch oven (fewer escapees LOL). For smaller batches (5-7 oz) I use a cast iron fryer pot. Gas stove on slightly higher than medium heat. The range hood handles the smoke because I replaced the fan motor with a stronger one. Usually keep a constant flame throughout, but with some coffees I ramp up for the first crack.

Seems that 8 minute drying phase and 1C at 12 minutes works best. For larger beans I need a slightly larger flame to hit that mark and vice versa.

Stir with a large whisk very briskly. Even with the higher sides of the dutch oven and frying pot I still get some escapee beans.

Cool by pouring back and forth between two wire mesh strainers outside. Chaff gets removed during this operation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AeroPress, Capresso On The Go single cup drip, Moka Pot
DIY Gas Fired perforated drum using TermoPro meat probe as bean probe (very accurate), Aillio Bullet R1 V2
A morning without coffee is like a marriage without a honeymoon.

renatoa
Perhaps migrated to the Hive Grin

JackH
They are still around. There is not too much to discuss unless you are starting out.
It is a simple process that takes some mechanical effort and gained knowledge of coffee roasting.
People seem to like over-engineering and automating things and you can't get any simpler than pan roasting.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Jump to Forum: