Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
1zpresso Grinder
Noboundries
When I was trying to decide on a grinder upgrade (coming from a Cuisinart $50 burr) I leaned more toward the value of a manual grinder over electric, my theory was: if all other costs are the same, not having a motor would be cheaper, so for the price a manual grinder should perform better at the same price range.

So I looked and looked for reviews and I decided on the Lido E, because a Kinu was out of budget, and a porlex mini just didn't seem that much better than a Hario that I've used countless times.

Then I came across a Reddit post that didn't have much traffic talking about how the 1zpresso Jx was better than any other hand grinder for the money.

After watching every single youtube video I could find, and reading all 3 reviews I could find I decided to take the plunge, after all its amazon, and if its doa I can return it.

I purchased the JX-Pro over the JX purely because if I want to acquire a non-portafilter expresso machine in the future I should be able to pull a shot with it. Oh man does this thing rock! To start its quiet, and the Cuisinart sounds like im pressing my ear to a space shuttle launch pad. It's extremely consistent at any setting, on the Cuisinart I get more fines and rocks than I do anything else. I couldn't believe the difference it made in the cup, and the ability to be able to fine-tune really any brew method. It's super pleasant to use, grinds way faster than the Cuisinart, and is really not hard to turn even on Turkish setting with some light roasts. The Hario Skerton mill was an absolute workout in comparison.

TLDR; Please look into the 1zpresso offerings if you're looking to get a new grinder, I have only had it 2 months of 60-100g a day, and can only vouch for the 2020 run of JX-Pro and probably normal JX models, but honestly for the money, I really cannot see something that can beat it. No idea what customer service is like, or parts availability since its a Chinese company that doesn't seem to move that much volume, but don't run rocks through it and keep it clean, it should be fine.
Roaster: Hottop-P, Hottop B-2 FS, Artisan 6M in red FS, SR800 FS. Someday:Bullet. Sold: Nesco CR-04-13, Poppery II

Grinder: DF64, 1Zpresso JX-Pro, Grindmaster 835s

Brew Methods: BV1900TS, BMW espresso machine, Aeropress, Chemex, V60, French press.

renatoa
There is a HB thread about this grinder, you can find many interesting details there.

My money went to MBK Feldgrind, when I had to make this choice, some years ago, and no regret so far.

At that time no Chinese offering was on the market, even so I prefer Scottish made stuff instead them, especially when even cheaper than Chinese units, if you can believe this...
Kinu was a love/hate relation, had one at the moment of Feldgrind acquisition, and sold it.
Please note that M38 was cheaper than Feldgrind, we have locally the choice to buy Kinu at a much lower price than worldwide, so wasn't a buget driven decision.

Sorry to steal your thread, posting this info just for the people to know there are worthy alternatives.

Noboundries
You didn't steal the thread, I would have loved to buy a Kinu instead if the price was the same haha that's awesome that it's local to you.

I am not on HB (I assume that's Home-Baristas) ill have to look for the thread there.
Roaster: Hottop-P, Hottop B-2 FS, Artisan 6M in red FS, SR800 FS. Someday:Bullet. Sold: Nesco CR-04-13, Poppery II

Brew Methods: BV1900TS, BMW espresso machine, Aeropress, Chemex, V60, French press.

renatoa
This is the link to thread:

https://www.home-...mp;t=61519

Noboundries
Awesome thanks!

Noboundries
Update on the grinder: I have my first real negative to mention.

My Kenya beans are quite large, and sometimes they don't fall into the burrs very well, you will be spinning the handle and then there will be 0 resistance, and you can see there are still beans in there. I don't remember where but I saw this mentioned on another 1zpresso model review, I believe it was the k-pro.

The fix: Give it a quick vertical shake, one or two should be plenty to get things moving again.

I have had to do this twice, in around 250g of these beans.

This isn't a real issue, its also a fix that anyone would figure out, and didn't even need to be put on words no doubt. But I was excited to find a reason to talk about the grinder haha!

Jump to Forum: