renatoa
03/16/2024 3:25 AM
rostar99, coffee drink ?

renatoa
03/15/2024 3:16 AM
welcome cup, Dennie_S

allenb
03/14/2024 5:38 PM
Thanks skpacman for finding us a new home!

renatoa
03/14/2024 11:50 AM
Jamesa1A and robertcheek welcome to forum

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,150
Newest Member: AndrewGeorge987

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Espresso maker under 100$
Jetter35@
Hello, everybody!

Tell me, can I find a good cheap espresso coffee machine? It's just that it scares me that buying a coffee machine for less than 200-300 bucks is throwing away money. And I really want to buy... But so far, I can spend about $100 at most... Someone bought an espresso coffee machine for that kind of money? How lucky was it? Is it worth spending money?

In advance, thank you all!

snwcmpr
Only if you buy one from someone that is selling a quality item for A LOT less than it is worth. Like .... a flea market find.
For that, I find research about what I want to buy, and knowing as much as I can, can help when I see something in a flea market, antique store, craigslist, ebay, or whathaveyou. Then having the luck that the person selling it does not know what it is.

A stove top espresso machine fits that price though. Like Bialetti.
Edited by snwcmpr on 08/17/2020 9:51 AM
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

renatoa
Or Cafflano Kompresso, that delivers a cup even closer to a real espresso than any mokka pot (i.e stove top).
In a Kompresso you have everything matching the standard espresso definition: grind, tamping, pressure, temperature, crema.
In a mokka pot, none of them are matching the checklist of a true espresso.
Edited by renatoa on 08/17/2020 9:41 AM

JackH

renatoa wrote:

Or Cafflano Kompresso, that delivers a cup even closer to a real espresso than any mokka pot (i.e stove top).
In a Kompresso you have everything matching the standard espresso definition: grind, tamping, pressure, temperature, crema.
None of them are not matching the checklist of a true espresso for a Bialetti.

Is this the one? https://www.amazo...B074TRBKW4

Looks similar to the AeroPress.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

renatoa
Yes, a smaller AP.
The smallest piston area and the metalic filter, similar with an espresso basket, are the key items for the 8 bar pressure.
The smaller aperture is even more important than the metalic filter. You can get a metalic filter for AP, but don't get espresso...
Little physics law reminder: pressure = force / area.
For AP you need 26 kg force for one bar, 26 square cm being the piston area, and a bar = 1kg force over one square cm. So you can't get more than 2-3 bars, even if you press by your whole upper body weight. Nobody tried to walk on an AP, though Grin
The smallest kompresso piston allows 8 bars with only 50 kg of force, and what was interesting to find at the launch of Kompresso, is the fact that you aren't supposed to push the piston with your upper body weight, but simply squeeze with the hand two handlers. And here follows the surprising fact: an average Joe could be capable of much handgrip force than his own weight !
This was the main subject of jokes about the little Chinese lady that showcased the first Kompresso video: how the heck is her capable to get 8 bars if so tiny Grin

Noboundries
Im in the same boat as the OP, but after watching the Hoffman video about the Kompresso, I think the most affordable option to get real espresso is the Flair. If you have a non-espresso grinder the Flair Neo is $119 and pulls real espresso with a pressurised portafilter. Im saving up for the classic or the pro, because im told that my JX-Pro grinder can dial in decent espresso shots.

So my vote would be anything from the Flair line, of course if you aren't looking for manual espresso, your local goodwill will have pressurised portafilter machines for cheap ideally, they wont pull the greatest of shots, but I imagine they would still be a step up from the Kompresso, Prismo, or Moka.
Roaster: Hottop-P, Hottop B-2 FS, Artisan 6M in red FS, SR800 FS. Someday:Bullet. Sold: Nesco CR-04-13, Poppery II

Grinder: DF64, 1Zpresso JX-Pro, Grindmaster 835s

Brew Methods: BV1900TS, BMW espresso machine, Aeropress, Chemex, V60, French press.

renatoa
You are right, didn't mentioned it because of the thread subject "under $100" condition Grin
Actually, they are very similar as group size, in the same 40mm ballpark, the difference is in materials, Flair is full metal and virtually indestructible, while Kompresso is full plastic, with a life span I can estimate to 2-3 years.

mtbizzle
If you ask me, if you want something espresso-like for a cheap price, get the aeropress + prismo attachment. I have not used any of the machines in the price range you are talking about, so i can't speak from any experience, but my understanding from what I have heard and learned is that some of the cheaper machines can produce great espresso, but they almost require an expert to consistently get good espresso. Ironically as home espresso machines get more expensive, they get easier to use, the cheaper ones are harder to use well. Around $100 I'm not sure there is a semi-automatic machine you would want to mess with, I think it would just cause frustration. There are some manual lever machines you could try (flair neo). The prismo on the other hand definitely is not true espresso, but can give you very strong coffee, is easy to use, and gets consistent results.

Personally I don't make the super strong, espresso-like drinks with the prismo. My recipe is:

16g coffee, slightly coarser grind than espresso
prismo metal filter + aeropress paper filter, pre-wet
150mL 100c water, stir
4 ice cubes in the cup
brew for 1 min, press with force

Probably the cheapest espresso machine I 'd ever advise getting is the Flair NEO
Edited by JackH on 08/17/2020 6:56 PM
Roast: Kaldi wide, SR800 + projects
Grind: Lab sweet, Bentwood, giota w/ MP burrs, Commandante
Pull: Decent, La Pavoni, Elektra Microcasa a Leva, Faemina anno 60, Kim Express

snwcmpr
Prismo, interesting. No one else here has mentioned it before.
Good marketing, and a funny video.
Not available from Amazon any longer. Out of stock, or too many returns?

Cautious Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

renatoa
Prismo is like a pressurized portafilter, prosecco, not champagne Grin.
I did an alternate "portafilter" for my AP long time before Prismo, to fool myself I am drinking "espresso". Fake news... Grin
renatoa attached the following image:
whatsapp_image_2019-10-26_at_092201.jpeg

DrHenley
James Hoffman (world barista champion and author of The World Atlas of Coffee) has a video called "The Best Espresso Machines Under ?100"

He found ONE that made good espresso, made by De'Longhi. Not great, but good. Believe me, if James Hoffman says it's good, it is good, LOL. My daughter has one, and yes it makes good espresso.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AeroPress, Capresso On The Go single cup drip, Moka Pot
DIY Gas Fired perforated drum using TermoPro meat probe as bean probe (very accurate), Aillio Bullet R1 V2
A morning without coffee is like a marriage without a honeymoon.

mtbizzle
I don't speak from experience, but my understanding with some of these cheap semi-automatic machines is that they are quite hard to do well, even if they can make great espresso. For that reason, can cause a lot of frustration for a beginner.

Prismo is not espresso, there is no doubt about that. But it is cheap, it is easy, and it does make very strong coffee. As I said above, I use it for my coffee maybe 1/3 of days, but I use it to make strong iced coffee, not espresso-like stuff. In terms of actual espresso, I would be surprised if there was a better option than the Flair Neo. While there is no indication of pressure without getting the Flair signature, there is a lot of information to go off of, given the feedback from the lever, the consistent water dose (due to water chamber size), shot time, etc. Not a bad option I think but it takes time to learn.
Roast: Kaldi wide, SR800 + projects
Grind: Lab sweet, Bentwood, giota w/ MP burrs, Commandante
Pull: Decent, La Pavoni, Elektra Microcasa a Leva, Faemina anno 60, Kim Express

Koffee Kosmo
Be careful with the wording
A lot of so called espresso makers are very cheaply made kitchen appliances

A proper espresso machine has many parts that control heat and water pressure and can last decades if looked after

Let me just say that a boiler in a proper espresso machine costs more to produce than a whole $100 coffee maker that can fail after a dozen uses

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

DrHenley
You CAN make cappuccino with the Aeropress, but not espresso. I use 18 g coffee and 65 g water at the boiling point using the inverted method. Stir and steep for 90 seconds and press. I heat the milk in a water bath and when it gets to 40C I froth with a battery powered frother until the temperature gets to 65C. There is some excess foam but it is good quality foam.
i.imgur.com/6Y1cmDC.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AeroPress, Capresso On The Go single cup drip, Moka Pot
DIY Gas Fired perforated drum using TermoPro meat probe as bean probe (very accurate), Aillio Bullet R1 V2
A morning without coffee is like a marriage without a honeymoon.

renatoa
If someone is talented to hunt on eBay, and do refurbish the whole seals set, he can have a perfectly working Pavoni for about 150. I did that...

Noboundries

snwcmpr wrote:

Prismo, interesting. No one else here has mentioned it before.
Good marketing, and a funny video.
Not available from Amazon any longer. Out of stock, or too many returns?

Cautious Ken

Keeping things in stock in our current world climate is pretty difficult, especially "hobby" related items.

I don't own a Prismo, but I have heard really only good things about it.

I would assume there isn't much a need to be cautious, just my $.02

Also should be said, the Aeropress alone can make great "espresso strength coffee" without the need for a Prismo, and in my opinion OP, the Aeropress is the best place to start, then save up for a real machine :)
Roaster: Hottop-P, Hottop B-2 FS, Artisan 6M in red FS, SR800 FS. Someday:Bullet. Sold: Nesco CR-04-13, Poppery II

Brew Methods: BV1900TS, BMW espresso machine, Aeropress, Chemex, V60, French press.

renatoa

renatoa wrote:

Prismo is like a pressurized portafilter, prosecco, not champagne Grin.
I did an alternate "portafilter" for my AP long time before Prismo, to fool myself I am drinking "espresso". Fake news... Grin

Speaking about stealing ideas...

https://www.kicks.../joepresso

renatoa
It's a coffee maker, not an espresso machine.
There is no pump, even they claim so, the pressure is from the steam in the boiler, like in a moka pot.
I bet I can obtain better coffee from an Aeropress.
Also, it works with capsules... er... we are a home roasting forum, somewhat contradicting terms... Grin

JackH

Kaybur wrote:

My favorite is Chulux, it's modern and powerful. The most I like about is that it's small and can be placed everywhere. Also it's a great price for that quality, I think it fits you best.

Should be banned for life for recommending a K-Cup machine.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

mg512
It's a slight gamble, but you could look for a used Gaggia Classic on eBay or similar. I once bought one for under 100$ that was listed as "defective" but just needed a good descale.

renatoa
+1 for GC also !

Noboundries

mg512 wrote:

It's a slight gamble, but you could look for a used Gaggia Classic on eBay or similar. I once bought one for under 100$ that was listed as "defective" but just needed a good descale.

To piggyback on this, If you are a moderately handy person, searching "espresso machine" on eBay, selecting "for parts or not working" will get you the best deals I bet you can find.

My sister actually threw away her Starbucks barista espresso machine that only needed a descale, sadly she didn't even let me know.

And if it's a reputable company and machine, you could find parts for it easily, if it needed more than a descale.

In fact, now this search will be in my daily routine, thanks mg512 for the reminder! Now I'm surely going broke! haha

Annie12
I tried Sage Barista Express Espresso Machine from this website. Once you set the fineness of the grind and the amount required, get the compaction pressure right you get as good as any well known outlet can supply. Some reviews comment on the noise of the water pump but this assured me all is working and I’m not worried by that. The Steam to hot water dispenser selection knob is plastic and it’s job is quite demanding.

Koffee Kosmo
A coffee style that has been around for centuries is
Greek / Turkish

All you need is an ibrik and a heat source and the super fine ground coffee

Once you learn how to brew this style of coffee - you are then drinking the original first coffee style

And the ibrik is cheap, easy to wash, take it camping ect

I have posted the brew method in another thread

KK
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

Cymen
I think the way to go is used. I am got lucky and found a Gaggia Classic Pro for $50 on Facebook marketplace. Only couple years old and works great. I see another machine in another state for $50 (Gaggia Coffee). A lot of people don't want to ship them so look locally. It might take a while to find a deal but they do come along.

Jump to Forum: