Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Just Got a 2000AB+
louca
Since I did not see a Group for the Behmor 2000 AB+, I am assuming this is the right place to post.

After many years wanting to roast my own beans, and getting tired of trying to find beans that are freshly roasted (like 3 days out), I finally broke down and bought my first roaster, the 2000 AB+.

So far, I have roasted one 100g batch of sample beans I got with the roaster (Peru FTO La Convencion). I think maybe I did OK, but am not sure. I roasted yesterday and will probably wait until tomorrow to brew and test the roast. I am wondering if I did things right though. I wanted a City+ roast, but not sure I got it. Having never roasted before, I didn't know exactly how first crack (1C) would sound. I think I sort of heard it, maybe, a little. But I am also thinking if I actually started 1C, I may have started cooling too soon, maybe not letting 1C complete. I think the roasted bean color looks about right. I noticed some (about 10%) of the roasted beans had a dull lighter shade and seemed to have chaff that could be sort of scraped off. Also, I thought the beans would have more aroma as they roasted and after they cooled, but didn't sense much. Any thoughts?

The manual for the roaster has a lot of information in it, but it can be a little confusing to a newbie like me. In a former life I was an electronics engineer with some work in writing technical manuals. Although some may say the 1600/2000 manual is pretty nice, it tries to say a lot of different things to a lot of different types of users all in the same place, and that usually doesn't work well. And their online revision of the manual has a higher revision number, it does not appear to be any different than an older version shipped with the unit. Although the manual is designed in color, and refers to illustrations containing colors, it is printed in black and white. Sorry I'm being so critical on this, but it makes the initial experience a little less than fun.

Having said all that, I really, really like this unit! I can't wait to get more experience with it, as well as information from folks here, to get nice fresh roasts the way I like them!

Lou
����������
Aillio R1 V2 Bullet, Behmor 2000AB+, Fellow Ode grinder, Escali L-600 scale, V60-02.
"I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here."

renatoa
Nice, welcome ! ThumbsUp

Curious what are the differences vs the Behmor 2020SR+ that is sold in Europe...

JackH
Congratulations Lou!
It looks like a nice unit and very reasonably priced.
Let us know how it goes, have fun!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

louca
Just a follow-up on my first roasting experience mentioned above.

louca wrote:
I am wondering if I did things right though. I wanted a City+ roast, but not sure I got it. Having never roasted before, I didn't know exactly how first crack (1C) would sound. I think I sort of heard it, maybe, a little. But I am also thinking if I actually started 1C
Lou

Well, I'm quite sure I either barely started 1C or didn't start it at all before I started cooling. I didn't know exactly how 1C sounded, so I think I mistook some roaster clinks for 1C. So the roast came out extremely light, the beans looked strange, and it tasted terrible. But I learned a LOT from the experience and determined my next roast would be much better.

And it was. I roasted the same coffee and same amount again. In roasting, I pressed "1/2" then START, which would give me a max roast time of 12 minutes at 100% power. I was quite sure that at 100% power I would not need 12 minutes to complete my roast. I was determined to let it run with the heat on full until I heard some very definite cracking. And I did! I let it continue to roast with full heat on until cracking almost stopped, then I starting cooling. (I can't remember the exact elapsed roasting time). The bean color looked good, although I thought it was a very tiny bit darker than I wanted. I'm thinking it was maybe just a tad less than Full City. But whatever it was, it tasted wonnnnnderful! That's it, I'm hooked! I am determined I will probably never buy commercially roasted coffee again.

One thing is sure, the Behmor 2000AB+ definitely has roasting momentum and the person roasting has to think way ahead to compensate for that. The Operations Manual says, ?Always forward think your roast by 15 seconds. This is the amount of time that is required to start reversing the trend from roasting to cooling.? But it seems to me, the period should be much longer than that - maybe the better part of 1 minute. The thing I am wondering about is if that period would be less if I had used say 75% power level instead of 100%.

So now I'm on to my next project: finding a way to roast indoors without smelling up the room I'm roasting in. Although I really like the smell, my wife doesn't share the same enthusiasm. I will do some research here to see if others have some recommendations I could try.

Lou
����������
Aillio R1 V2 Bullet, Behmor 2000AB+, Fellow Ode grinder, Escali L-600 scale, V60-02.

OldMan41
Too quote MillCity Roasters Class, "Do you like what U roasted?
https://www.youtu...nWNIIpJVQQ
Edited by allenb on 03/13/2021 8:17 AM

louca
Very interesting series, I will have to watch all of them. Thanks OldMan!
����������

RJ30
I just purchased a Behmor 2000 AB for my first roaster and roasted two 1/4 lb batches.

What I'm curious about is if anyone is trying to manually log their roasts to replicate what they like. I attempted some logging of sidewall temps (The "B" button). Since this is my first attempt at roasting, would someone be willing to glance at my log and let me know if this is worth the effort?

For those unfamiliar with the Behmor, the dip in temperature mid-roast is where the fan kicks on.

Also, if someone thinks my roasting profile needs work, I'm open to feedback there too. I'm roasting for the espresso brewing method. I'll be shooting for Full City and Full City+ roasts but overshot in this case.

RJ
RJ30 attached the following image:
espress_monkey_blend_page_1.jpg

Jump to Forum: