Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Behmor 2000AB+ and decaf Columbian
larryjb
I got the 2000AB+ in December of 2021. I was a bit arrogant and thought I could start with manual roasts right away. I wasted a 1/4# roast. No surprise on that. I then used a program (P2), listened for 1st crack, pressed the C button for the 2 minute timer, pressed it again, then cooled my beans. It wasn't bad. I recorded all my temperatures (A, B), when the fan kicked in, etc. Based on this I began to roast on manual.

The decaf beans do need to be treated more gently. Here's what I do, and I get a reasonably good cup of coffee that is not bitter, nor woody:
1) Preheat to 230F.
2) Fill with 1/2# decaf Columbian.
3) Start roast: 1/2#, P2, then immediately to P4 to start a manual roast.

Monitoring A and B temperatures, drying phase:
4) open door a crack each minute to monitor odors. Once the grassy tones disappear, switch to P5.
5) Once the fan kicks in, start monitoring the "A" temperature, that is most important. B and drop, but A can rise, so the "A" temperature appears to be more related to bean temperature.
6) Once the "A" temperature reaches 325F, start backing off the temperature to P4.
7) Once the "A" temperature reaches 345-350, back off to P3.
8) Carefully watching the "A" temperature, try to maintain the "A" in the 355-360F for at least 2 minutes. If you get up to 358 or so, drop down to P2 or even P1 so that you don't get into the 360's. If you hit 2nd crack, your coffee may turn bitter.
9) If you maintain the mid 350's for much longer than 3 minutes, it may go into 2nd crack even if the "A" temperatures don't get to 360F. However, when this happened to me once, the coffee wasn't overly bitter. It really seems to be when the "A" temperatures get to >360F that you get the bitter coffee.

Note that I didn't have to super heat the oven and come close to the "B" temperatures of 320F. This may be necessary for other beans, I'm not sure. But, if I had done that for the decaf coffee, the roast would have been finished way early and tasted rather bland.

These are my observations so far. Because the Behmor is such a unique roaster, roasting profiles/temperatures from other roasting methods don't translate to good profiles on the Behmor, although the general principles do.

Remember, I'm no expert. I just like the coffee made this way.

Jump to Forum: