Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gas control for bullet de aillio
zamunda
Hello,

A friend of mine bought a bullet de aillio (3kgs) with manual gas control. Works fine however, he would like to have a more fine grained control over the gas flow, eventually directly from within Artisan.

How could this be achieved in the most easy way?

Any tips/ideas are highly appreciated.

Regards
zamunda attached the following image:
bullet.jpg

########################
### A lot can happen over coffee ###
########################

renatoa
As an immediate, no change, solution, what about a multi-turn precision knob ?
renatoa attached the following image:
mt-knob.jpg

zamunda
Hello Renatoa,

Thanks, that could be a good and simple start. Thanks!
########################
### A lot can happen over coffee ###
########################

renatoa
This could work IF the need for "more fine grained control" comes from a weak knob, but valve is good !
If the valve is so-so, i.e. mechanical flaws... then evaluate a needle valve or a dwyer flow meter.

allenb
I agree that the multi turn precision knob attached to a good needle valve and incorporating a dwyer flow meter would be the preferred way to go. The only reason I would ever consider an automated approach to a drum roaster's burner would be if I was working in a production setting where multiple kilos of the same coffee and same batch size were being roasted to ensure consistency. This would unfortunately require one to have an in depth knowledge of automation electronics and advanced controls experience due to the extreme complexity of smoothly controlling a drum roaster. As renatoa has discussed in previous posts, simple PID automation will not control a drum roaster without resorting to control methods that allow floating PID settings that automatically get retuned as the thermodynamic conditions change through the course of a roast session.

What kind of shaft does the multiturn knob accept?
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
6 mm is the standard in pots shaft.
For example, in this category:
https://www.tme.eu/ro/en/katalog/precision-knobs-for-shaft-potentiometers_112335/
... the Shaft diameter filter has only two choices: 6mm for metric and 6.35 for imperial.

I seen projects coupling a stepper motor to a needle valve actuator/shaft, could be an approach, but some robotics knowledge needed.
Much simpler would be to use a servo mechanism, as those used in RC models, I did this, and wasn't so difficult as it sounds. Simpler than a stepper motor, definitely.
But works only for a valve with maximum 120 degrees rotation range, not for multi-turn valve.

btreichel
They actually make multiturn servos (aka 360degree plus)

Yasu
A bit expensive, but this is the best.
0-100% with a built-in flow meter to calculate the flow rate.
volume, 4-20ma, 0-5V, etc.
It can be freely controlled and also displays the flow rate.

https://www.ckd.c...etail/108/

renatoa

btreichel wrote:

They actually make multiturn servos (aka 360degree plus)

Sure, but what I know aren't proportional, i.e. able to stop after, let's say one turn and a half... they turn continuous from an end to the other. The RC command controls the speed for these servos, not the angle.
They are the so called winch servos, for ship models sails control.

Rather than a multiturn servo, someone can use a gear mechanism.
Check at servocity, for the widest offering, for gears, belts and pulleys.

The control of a RC servo can be done with such board: https://www.polol...oduct/1350

Control is done using command line strings sent via USB from Artisan, instructing the servo to go to a known position, corresponding to a desired pressure.
Or an Arduino library is available, if someone want to integrate it with TC4, and use the OT commands for gas instead a SSR.

btreichel
I think you are right, its been several years.

Jump to Forum: