renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
3kg Drum Roaster Build Using 40qt Stock Pot
IsaacC
Hello, this is my first roaster build and I already feel like I've gone too far down the rabbit hole...Grin

Well, attached are the design drawings I've been working on using this pot and colander.

https://www.amazo...W&th=1
1. Do you think the clearance will be enough? It looks to be around 1/2" between the colander and the pot. I've seen in other posts that 1" to 2" is best, but could it work? It just seems so much easier to use this than to try and fabricate my own drum. maybe I could find yet another steel pot and use that instead? My preference is 12"d x 12"h drum based on the formula [Roast size (ounces) = Drum Volume (cubic inches)/10].

2. Any other thoughts about the vane design? Based on other threads here, about 1" vanes at 25 degrees being about right for the forward vanes, and 2" vanes at a slightly steeper incline for the reverse. I thought it would be good to offset the forward vanes so there are no gaps in the flow, but maybe that's unnecessary?

3. How close to the "lid" should the drum be so as to not let any beans through the gap?

4. How small should the colander holes be? Do you think I would need to wrap the colander with mesh? At that point I may as well just find a different drum that is better suited perhaps.

Thanks in advance for all your answers and help. I'm excited to start building!!
Isaac
IsaacC attached the following images:
isaacc_roaster_design.png front_view.jpg

Edited by IsaacC on 04/18/2023 6:33 PM

renatoa
Welcome !

Perforations seems too big in my eyes, bigger than the maximum 6 mm I would use for such task.
The tin thickness also seems questionable... compared to a minimum 3 mm required for heat accumulation and structural resistance of a 3 kg machine.
Edited by renatoa on 04/19/2023 2:10 PM

IsaacC

renatoa wrote:

Welcome !

Perforations seems too big in my eyes, bigger than the minimum 6 mm I would use for such task.
The tin thickness also seems questionable... compared to a minimum 3 mm required for heat accumulation and structural resistance of a 3 kg machine.

Thanks Renatoa, that's very helpful. Sounds like 10 gauge thickness or lower is best. That may mean fabricating the drum out of something different. Probably without perforations in the side. I may try to use another SS stock pot, but those are typically 1.5mm-2mm in thickness.

Jump to Forum: