Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roasters Pal app (iOS and Android)
greztukas
Hi all,

I want to introduce you with a tool which I made to help me record and manage roasting profiles. The tool made as an app called "Roasters Pal" and works on Android and iOS phones and tablets.
All the info, screenshots, video and tutorial how to make a Bluetooth device you can find at www.roasterspal.com

How project born?
I started this project as simple data logger as I wanted more repeatable roasts on my Gene Cafe. After I upgraded my roaster I tried Artisan for some time as well, but I still wanted a little more than profile on laptop or computer. I wanted something more mobile, wireless, with additional features like extra comments, images, tasting notes, rating, etc. So I returned back to my logger and started to add additional functions I was missing. And the app was born. I've been using this app for over 3 years now and just few weeks ago I made it available for public as I think it could help for other coffee roasters as well.

What you can do in app?
In short, it's a tool that can help you:
  1. create a profile and notes,
  2. log roasting temperatures and events,
  3. preview temperature readings and RoR in graph,
  4. add comments,
  5. taste notes and images,
  6. see all the timers and development structure,
  7. compare profiles during the roasting (roast to target).
  8. You can export, import, share or print profile if needed.

You can also make a simple temperature logger (Arduino based Bluetooth Low Energy device) that can automatically record temperatures to profile once connected to an app (tutorial and Arduino code available on website).

Watch the video how app works in auto mode with Bluetooth device connected (roasted on my Gene Cafe with extra thermocouple attached).

What are the future plans?
I will be adding more functionalities to the app, will be adding more Bluetooth devices to be supported in app, will try to implement function to control the roaster from the app, and something more probably smile
More I work on this project, more I believe that one day I will be able to modify my Gene Cafe to make an autonomous roasting with pre-loaded profile. Fingers crossed I will have enough energy, motivation and resources to accomplish that smile

Please let me know if you need more info or have questions. And thanks in advance for any feedback, bug reports, etc.

Happy roasting to you all.

roasterspal.com/docs/RPal_iPhone_grid.jpg

Edited by greztukas on 01/19/2024 9:14 PM
---------------------------------------------------
CB600, CBR-101 (modifying)
Roasters Pal app (developing)

renatoa
Welcome and congratulations !

Feel free to post the links, already found the Android version, from the description Grin
Unfortunately, not installing on my Android, probably version 5 too old.
So, will keep using with my actual roasting app, more forgiving, even if not so elaborated as yours smile

greztukas

renatoa wrote:

Welcome and congratulations !

Feel free to post the links, already found the Android version, from the description Grin
Unfortunately, not installing on my Android, probably version 5 too old.
So, will keep using with my actual roasting app, more forgiving, even if not so elaborated as yours smile

Thank you. I will update post with links smile
Unfortunately the oldest Android version where app can be installed is 7.0 :(
Edited by greztukas on 04/27/2023 7:26 PM

renatoa
What is the factor that force this version ?
I was an old style programmer, where one of the top requirements was to preserve backward compatibility as much as possible... and our customers appreciated this... a lot.
If a service pack force me to upgrade something, better not apply.
Still on Windows 7 atm, for example. And will never switch to w10/11, no drivers for my comm toys.
New generation programmers act as they are paid by hardware vendors, to force permanently new gear acquisition, lol Grin

greztukas

renatoa wrote:

What is the factor that force this version ?
I was an old style programmer, where one of the top requirements was to preserve backward compatibility as much as possible... and our customers appreciated this... a lot.

I'm also one of those who don't want to change anything and I'm happy to be able to use old and beloved equipment. However, we are hostages in the race of uncontrolled consumption :(

Regarding Android version 7.0, I noticed that it is the lowest version that is still compatible with the latest ones. I think it's due to OS security compatibilities, privacy policies, etc. For example, in the past, I remember that applications could edit and read data created by other applications, but now you can't do that. Both Google and Apple strongly control and protect users from harmful applications and this is where all the new versions coming from. They are closing security gaps probably.

Actually, I'm roasting beans using an old Nexus 9 tablet with Android 7.0. After that, I immediately export it via Google Drive to my phone (Android 13), where I finishing profile with additional comments, notes, images, etc. Grin

greztukas
New important feature such as RoR was added into the app

Different sensitivity step can be chosen for RoR calculations and different smoothness factor can be applied on it.
RoR step and smooth factor can be set in Settings menu

RoR sensitivity steps: 15s, 30s or 60s. Default step - 60s.

Smoothness factors (average of multiple RoR readings): x0, x2, x3, x4, x5. Higher smoothness - less noise.

Here is an example how different settings looks like on the same profile:

roasterspal.com/docs/RPal_RoR_diff_all_final.jpg

Jump to Forum: