Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

renatoa
04/10/2024 1:09 AM
welcome cup, Ed K

allenb
04/09/2024 5:34 PM
TheJak99 Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 1
Nirecue

Total Members: 8,205
Newest Member: TheOtherJim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are "Farm Grade Coffee Beans"
PeteH
I have noticed a seller on E-Bay selling green Farm Grade Coffee Beans from Vietnam. I think Farm Grade would mean that the beans might have small pieces of twigs and rocks in them but don't know for sure.

They are supposedly Arabica beans but I would question the quality of them. 10# of them including shipping is about $2.20 per #. Usually if something sounds too good to be true it usually is too good to be true.

Anyone know anything about them? When I was in Vietnam way back in 1968-69 they had a native coffee that was very strong and sort of bitter but they put a lot of sugar and milk in it and it wasn't too bad. Wonder if this is what it was?

(now you folks know about how old I am too)

Pete

seedlings
I'm not sure about "farm grade" beans, but what you say makes sense. I did a quick search on eBay and only found some Blue Cloud roasted coffee. Do you have the link to the auction?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

PeteH

seedlings wrote:
I'm not sure about "farm grade" beans, but what you say makes sense. I did a quick search on eBay and only found some Blue Cloud roasted coffee. Do you have the link to the auction?

CHAD

I think you found them, here's a link. http://tinyurl.co...

After doing a little searching on a couple of other coffee forums it seems the Vietnamese beans are held in very low regard.

Pete
Edited by seedlings on 03/03/2008 3:45 PM

Kaffee Bitte
Vietnamese coffees are usually horrible. About a year ago I bought five pounds from Blue Cloud, because they were CHEAP and I thought I could at least use them for practice. They were quite bad. Tasted like tar even with a light roast. Would not recommend them unless you buy them just to use to test a new roaster. I think I will buy some more eventually though for that reason.

Most of the coffee that is grown in Vietnam is robusta, even in the highish altitudes. The robusta is said to be some of the worst robusta, as well.

On the other hand I just finished off some Laos Fair Trade Arabica that was actually quite good. It had a nice thick body with some wild blood orange acidity and sweetness. Very interesting.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

farmroast
generally, farm grade/estate run are unsorted/not screened for size and sometimes less sorted for trash and defect beans.
farmroast
Ed B.
DreamRoast 1kg roaster, Levers, Hand Mills http://coffee-roa...gspot.com/

seedlings
I'm just taking notes. Thanks, Lynn & Ed.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Jump to Forum: