Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Building a bean humidor.
John Despres
There was a thread on the Sweet Maria's list about storing greens and even though most beans will survive just fine for a couple years, I decided I needed a humidor.

I started with the "coolidor" idea using a giant cooler, but as I shopped and looked at them, I could see they wouldn't work for me. Floor space is at a premium in my basement, and none I saw would stand on end making a cabinet type of enclosure. The wall thickness also cost precious space, so a cooler was not the answer.

I knew I could build one, but how? I looked on line at cigar humidors and learned a bit about them and decided I could press on in the studio with available materials.

Years ago someone gave me a very old wood storm window insert. I commented I thought it was pretty cool so he gave it to me. It?s been kicking around for 7-8 years. When I realized this would make an awesome front door to the cabinet, I knew I had the cabinet problem solved.

I had to replace one pane of glass and urethaned the wood. I did not re-finish it as it had all the character in the world so I kept the dings and scratches.

The storm window is designed as an insert piece and subsequently wasn?t ready to be a door yet. I ripped some 15 ply ?? Baltic birch to frame the window and make it into a door. The framing is glued and screwed to the inside (back) of the former storm window. After all the measuring and fitting, I finished the door in about 3 hours.

The cabinet box was the easy part. It is built out of the same Baltic birch. The back is a sheet of ? ? luan. The corners are gusseted with maple. The shelf rests were installed at this time. I had no idea of how to space them so I chose 11? between them. All parts are glued and screwed together. There?s a 3? high base under it. The interior at this point was also urethaned and the exterior was painted semi-gloss black. The interior of the cabinet is just over 15 cubic feet.

While the urethane dried, I built the shelves. They are open slatted for air circulation and built of the Baltic as well. They are not coated as I wanted them to be able to absorb moisture and help stabilize and maintain Relative Humidity. As time allows and materials become available, I?ll switch to maple shelves as they will look better than bare ply.

So far everything was built out of available materials in the studio. Not a penny spent.

I have no pictures of the cabinet construction to share.

I did buy the hinges, though; $15.00 total.

I got the cabinet home and set it in place after doing a bit of re-arranging. Now it was time for a trip to the store for weather seal, distilled water, door catches and some sort of humidifying device(s). My local Ace is n outstanding store ? in the ?home? section, I found large stainless steel shakers with a plastic cover. These should work fine ? I can drill holes in the cover to dial them open or closed as needed if I need them at all.

I installed the weather seal, put some baking soda in to absorb odors and wetted the interior and put my hygrometer in.

And waited.
Edited by John Despres on 03/18/2008 12:59 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
And nothing happened. The Relative Humidity remained at exactly at 31% - the same as my basement. I had spritzed the bare ply shelves with distilled water to begin conditioning it and that didn?t help, either.

Sunday morning, it was the same. It occurred to me humidity rises with the temperature, so I added a little ceramic heater and the humidity shot up to 70%, but it was 80 degrees in there. I knew that wouldn?t work. I dialed the temp back and even though it dropped some, it was way too warm in there. Late in the afternoon, I pulled the heater and closed it up.

Now, it being the weekend, I was taking some short cuts around everything I learned on line. I did not build a humidifing device ? I just put the shakers with water inside.

Here?s how I left it Saturday night.
John Despres attached the following image:
Humidor closed[835].jpg

Edited by John Despres on 03/18/2008 1:01 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
Here it is open
Humidor interior[836].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
This is fascinating!

You're trying to keep both humidity and temperature constant. What temperature and relative humidity are ideal for storing green coffee? I thought a 65 degree basement with 31% relative humidity is pretty good.

It looks fantastic though s:2

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
Saturday night when I last looked at it, after pulling the heat, the RH was 55%. Sunday morning, the RH was at 50% and the temp was 63 degrees. Something was working! I left it alone for the day and this morning I went shopping again. This time I followed the directions of a site I found on line - http://www.akronc...ifier.html - and purchased some premixed propylene glycol, some florists wet Oasis (that green foam stuff you get with fresh floral arrangements) and went home. The site suggests buying un mixed PG, but I found some premixed at a tobacconist?s shop. You mix the straight with distilled wahter The guy there sold me what I wanted but also had suggestions as well. More on that later.

Here?s the Oasis foam.
The oasis uncut[837].jpg

Edited by John Despres on 03/18/2008 1:04 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
The oasis cup with lids
Oasis cup[838].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Cutting the oasis - it cuts like butter!
cutting the oasis[839].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
3 finished oases
3 finished oasises[840].jpg

Edited by John Despres on 03/18/2008 1:04 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Since the PG I bought was pre mixed, I added it to the oases and set them inside, closed & latched the door and began posting this. I have resisted the urge to run downstairs to see what's happening.

Given the cubic footage of the interior, the tobacconist suggested I may need a real humidifier. He opened a few of his cabinets which were roughly the same size as mine to show me a standard home humidifier in the bottom. I may go this route if the oases don?t work.
Edited by John Despres on 03/18/2008 1:05 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
I threw some beans in for these pics so it looks like something.

Here's the weather seal.
weather seal[841].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Here is one of the catches. I chose this kind so I don't crush the weather seal.
door catch[842].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Here's the interior with the hygrometer after installing the oases and beans for this photo op.
interior hygrometer[843].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Another view of the interior. I can't wait until I can remove the extra stuff.
open 2[844].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Another interior shot.
another interior[845].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Another exterior shot
closed[846].jpg

Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Here's how the south end of my roasting room looks. I'm excited to get this working. Even in plastic bags, the beans look pretty cool in there. Once they are cotton bags, it'll look even better. I considered burlap, but it's pretty messy and fuzzy.

Just to the left, out of frame is a metro shelf unit on wheels with the Junk Yard Tow Truck and an old lap top for logging roasts.
south view[847].jpg

Edited by John Despres on 03/17/2008 8:18 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
I placed the oases about 2 1/2 hours ago and the RH was 45% - Right now the RH is 48% so it seems to be working.

Only time will tell if the oases can handle a cabinet this large. I hope so, because I don't want to add an electric humidifier.

If I do have to, I'll build a vertical "plenum" up the back with ports into the cabinet because I don't think I want the moist air blowing directly onto the beans. It will help with distrubution as well.

Another item of interest I saw on line was someone used a little "Oust" air freshener fan in his cigar humidor without the April Fresh Scent in it. The fan is battery operated and turns on for a few minutes every 15 minutes. This could help keep things even as well.

I'll let it sit just as is for a few days and see what happens. I have enough florists foam for 3 more oases if need be.

I'll keep you posted.
Edited by John Despres on 03/18/2008 1:09 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres

seedlings wrote:
This is fascinating!

You're trying to keep both humidity and temperature constant. What temperature and relative humidity are ideal for storing green coffee? I thought a 65 degree basement with 31% relative humidity is pretty good.

It looks fantastic though s:2

CHAD

Hey, CHAD, I didn't see your post until just now as I was getting around to proof reading my own work.

I'm trying to attain a Relative Humidity level of 60% which will get me to a bean moisture content of 11%-12%.
Edited by John Despres on 03/18/2008 3:53 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

EddieDove
Absolutely impressive!
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

John Despres
I should have started with a goals list -

Simply, I want to keep my beans in a 60% Relative Humidity environment to keep the beans at a moisture content of 11% to 12%.

I need to stay at or just below 60% to prevent mold from growing on my precious stash.

While I know this isn't absolutely necessary, I'm sure it is something I can do. I think it will help eliminate another variable from my roasting quest for knowledge and perfection. Also in my 31% RH basement, beans were drying out. Is this bad? I don't know, but it can't be too good for them.

I studied on line and found several cigar sites that provide the type of information I needed.

They are:
http://www.stogie...ourown.htm
http://www.cigarp...idor.shtml
http://www.akronc...midor.html

There were several others, but these were the most helpful.

There was no mention of temperature so that part is a mystery to me. I suppose humidity can be present in any temperature.

So far I have spent (rounded up to the nearest dollar)
Oasis wet foam $3.00
PG $ $13.00
2 hygrometers $54.00
Hinges $15.00
Clasps $8.00
Oasis cups $18.00
Distilled water $2.00
Total $113.00

Everything else was in inventory as scrap from previous projects.
Edited by John Despres on 03/18/2008 3:54 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Thank you, CHAD and Eddie for the compliments. It's a slow time of the year, so I have to do something...
Respect the bean.
John Despres

ginny
John:

your project is fantastic. Maybe the next contest should be for new ideas for home roasters.
way to go.

let me see if I can get you HT.,

ginny

alwayss:8s:8s:8 cuz I need to ands:5s:5s:5 mr ED

John Despres
Thanks, Ginny!

Today's update. When I last left you the RH in the humidifier was hanging at about 48% but didn't climb from there.

Since raising the temp made the RH rise, I put the heater back in. I call this part "heat conditioning your humidifier". I spritzed the interior with distilled water again and turned on the heat for a couple hours.

Yes, I removed the beans...

At about 6 PM the RH was 75% on both hygrometers so I removed the heater, closed it up and let it sit over night. There was some condensation on the bottom corner of the window.

This morning at 6 AM, the RH was 75% on one meter and 65% on the other - I'll be running meter tests later. They're digital, so I didn't snap 'em with a finger. The condensation had gone away.

It seems the interior may be stabilizing. The next step will be to open the door, let the RH drop a couple points. close it back up and see if the RH comes back up. If it does, I'm getting there. If it does not, but maintains at the most recent drop, more heat conditioning may be required.

Next update soon to come when there's something to report.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
What determines that 65% relative humidity will keep the beans around 12% moisture content? I re-read -->THIS<-- article from sweetmarias and it didn't mention what humidity level is good for greens. The key may simply be the normal humidity in XYZ coffee producing country. The 5 day forcasted relative humidity for Nyrobi, Kenya is 70%, 67%, 63%, 74%, 81%, with an average of 71%... hmmmm...

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
CHAD, I'm working from this study http://www.mesoam...ial_II.PDF you might find it interesting.

I also made a mistake - 60% is condsidered safe. Not 65%.

Thanks for making me look this up!
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: