Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Building a bean humidor.
John Despres

Kaffee Bitte wrote:
That is very cool John! Wish I had the space to do something like it.

Of course I really wouldn't need to. It is rare for a coffee to hang out at my house for longer than a month.

Thanks, Lynn

Actually, it was space that forced me to think vertically.

Besides, truth be told, beans don't last that long here, either. If it works I can keep more "private reserve" on hand. You know, the stuff I won't give away, like Kona, or last year's crop of Aussi Mountain Grown...
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Kaffee Bitte
Aussie Mountain Top Estate? MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

One of my personal all time favorite coffees. LOVE IT!!! I adore it as a single origin espresso! Just roasted some for it in fact!
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

John Despres
That's the one! Early in my roasting carreer, I bought a five pound bag. It was so good, and I was so terribly entusiastic that I shared lots of it with friends... now I have precious little left for myself.

Lesson learned.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
Hmmmm. I'm not getting anywhere fast with the Propylene Glycol oases. I even added three more, but cannot get the relative humidity above 47% at 65 degrees. I guess the next step will be to buy a very small room humidifier or add a small heater to the cabinet.

It looks as if I were able to keep the cabinet temperature at 70 degrees, I may be able to keep the RH at 60%.

More work to do.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
OK, these are WAAAAAYYYYYY off the wall thinking... Really. Far. Off the wall...

Years ago we had 2 iguanas. They each had a heated rock. It got pretty hot, but not so much that you couldn't bear to keep your hand on it (maybe 100F?). What if you set one of your oases on a heated rock? Or maybe a candle warmer? Have you seen one of those things? Once your candle has burned down, you put the rest of the jar of wax on a mini hot-plate. Or, what about a teensy little crock pot, like the ones for potpourri?

So, there's my off-the-wall suggestions for you.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
Hmmmm. A moist heat source... I'm stroking my beard on that one. Hmmm... Could just work.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Kaffee Bitte

John Despres wrote:
That's the one! Early in my roasting carreer, I bought a five pound bag. It was so good, and I was so terribly entusiastic that I shared lots of it with friends... now I have precious little left for myself.

Lesson learned.

Yes I made the same mistake. Not any more though. It all gets roasted for me alone. If my friends are VERY LUCKY, I may be nice enough to make them an espresso out of it. But they have to be very very nice to me.
Lynn

"Some days it's spice, other days it's bitter dirt."

John Despres
I'm temporarily setting aside the project because I need a place to put my beans. The cabinet will work perfectly even if it's not a humidor. Once I get more time, I'll install a plenum up the back with ports and a small mister.

Besides, I need to get back to the Junk Yard Tow Truck and finish the up since I messed it up...
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
John, hows the experiment?

I was thinking ... would a refridgerator work for a humidor? One not plugged in? It's airtight.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

mikepetro
John,

This is a really old thread but I was wondering if you ever pursued it further. And if so was the view worth the climb?

I am at a turning point. I have read a lot about green bean storage and it seems vacuum sealing is gaining quite a bit of momentum.

I have a Foodsaver and lots of canning jars so that has a certain appeal. Put 227g of beans in a jar and suck a vacuum on it, pretty easy.

But the controlled environment thing still intrigues me a lot. I know from aging tea that in a controlled environment you can manipulate the flavors a bit. I fashioned a very functional cooler-dor for my cigars, it maintains 70% humidity perfectly and since I use a ?Cigar Oasis? like device it could easily be adjusted down to 60%. It would hold about 100 pounds of beans.

Has anyone tried nitrogen flushing for ultra high end beans, the special bursting with fruit beans I hear about? I did that for high end Japanese teas and I still have all the gear. See: http://pu-erh.net...taticID=12

Any advice from anyone of quality easy storage methods?
Mike Petro
Martinsville, VA
--------------------------------
Lady Silvia, Stepless Rocky, Gene Cafe
http://mikepetro.org/coffee/

Jump to Forum: